under btm bracket cable guide PLEASE help!

generallee

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I just bough ta Cannondale M400 frame from a member on here, its lovely, but has no under BB cable guide - just a hole in the alloy bb shell where one would go. I bought a shimano plastic guide form chainreaction, but it isnt the right shape at all - does anone have any tips on this?
Im not sure how it bolts on, as the hollowtech cranks im running wouldnt allow for a 'nut' to be used in the inside of the BB shell if i were to use a bolt from the outside.. as there isnt much room in the shell for anything other than the fat crank arm - or is a bolt meant to thread directly into the alloy hole?
Any help greatly appreciated!
Ive ordered a Campag cable guide from ebay, and hope itll fit - but Im not sure how it bolts on...
steve

I recently fitted one. It's the blue shimano one. Not sure of the model number.

What I did was get a pop rivet that was long enough to go through the hole.
Pulled the gun to keep it in place.

Once I did this I was unable to get the bottom bracket through the hole as the pop rivet was in the way.

I then pushed the centre pin out of the rivet and squashed the rivet flat from inside the bottom bracket. This allowed the bottom bracket to be fitted without obstruction.

At the end of the day all you want to do is keep it in place. It doesn't have to be rock solid because the cables will be run over it anyway.

The ones I've seen in the past have been fitted with a short screw which threads into the hole in the shell.

my old saracen has a little moulded bit of plastic that screws into a threaded hole in the bb shell, guides the front and rear mech cables.
constantly clogging up with mud and leaves and sticks, and loads of friction to make the gear changes that little bit harder. bloody nightmare
best bit is the screw is just a bit too long and sticks out inside the bb shell so you cant fit an isis cartridge bb in there.

I was thinking along the superglue lines actually!
My other thought was to buy a clamp on cable stop for the seattube, and run a top route for the cable for both mechs - with full outer zip tied to the frame up to the cable stops - good idea?

I'm not giving mine up yet - the m400 one is much longer than the standard one,

..but you could fit a standard one and run a length of ptfe tube (brake inner sleeve) through the cable guide past the BB and thread the gear cable through that - should be enough protection to prevent sawing of the Alu.

The tension of the cables usually keeps these blighters in place whether they are fixed to the frame or not.

I was thinking along the superglue lines actually!
My other thought was to buy a clamp on cable stop for the seattube, and run a top route for the cable for both mechs - with full outer zip tied to the frame up to the cable stops - good idea?

thats pretty much what i do, except with duck tape instead of zipties :). was gonna suggest it, but not really factory original.

Back