Formula disc brakes

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've just bought a formula disc brake of the bay. i've never used discs before, is there anything specific I need to know about Formula brakes. Also the brake is a rear, will I be able to use it as a front just by shortening the hose or are they very different?

I have a set of formula brakes as shown, The rear is non standard with the ( as new) wheel I have too :roll: as I have been told early Italian bikes had different standards

DSC05090.jpg

different mounts

So how different are they to standard ones? Just different mounting brackets? Or do I need to start looking for Formula specific hubs? Thanks Daj by the way.

hold tight with my tech talk here!! :LOL:

If you bolt one end of the caliper on , the other end is short by about half the hole ? :? a guess 0.5 cm

Hub wise , I could spin a hope disc rotor with it on?

If you want some photos I could take some pics with it dummied on a A2Z adaptor for you to see?

There was a front formula that came out mid ninety's,it had a pre IS mount on it that fitted older bombers,i think up to '96 ,the mounting holes were i think 47mm as apposed to the 51mm that IS mounts are.If you have that one you may be stuck for an adapter ,i looked for one for years before giving up and selling the fork on

Shortening the hose should pose no problems. :D

Never used discs before? :LOL:
Boy. Are you in for a BIG suprise ,at last ,brakes that not only work ,but inspire.
You're going to start questioning why you have canti's on any of your bikes :LOL: :LOL:

only experience with formula was when a mate had some many years ago . spent more time in the shop being fixed than on the bike

surely an adapter could easily be made that would just increase the disc size

also id have thought a different sized disc would be needed swapping from front to rear

are they 4 bolt disc ?

Pics would be nice please Daj. I haven't actually bought a disc or a hub yet so I'll wait until I can age it to find out what parts I need. I've got 96 bombers on the bike the brake is destined for at the moment so i might be in luck!

dyna-ti":2aseihv7 said:
There was a front formula that came out mid ninety's,it had a pre IS mount on it that fitted older bombers,i think up to '96 ,the mounting holes were i think 47mm as apposed to the 51mm that IS mounts are.If you have that one you may be stuck for an adapter ,i looked for one for years before giving up and selling the fork on

Shortening the hose should pose no problems. :D

Never used discs before? :LOL:
Boy. Are you in for a BIG suprise ,at last ,brakes that not only work ,but inspire.
You're going to start questioning why you have canti's on any of your bikes :LOL: :LOL:

I've not even used v-brakes before let alone discs.

Grannygrinder":2st0rf7h said:
Also the brake is a rear, will I be able to use it as a front just by shortening the hose or are they very different?

No. While the fittings are the same and it will bolt on OK the mounting position is different on the rear. This will result in the calliper being offset from the fork more than is normal.

If it is a post mount calliper then that's different. All you'd need is a front bracket. The post mount calliper bolts screw into the frame/fork whereas the IS mount calliper bolts screw into a thread on the calliper itself.

Back