Bike related injuries!

Thorpie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Was adjusting the brake caliper on my dialledbikes SS this morning and when spinning the wheel to check the disc was not rubbing on the pads I have caught my left index finger in the rotor :cry:. It has cleanly taken off half my finger nail and a nice chunk of skin, ouch. Does anyone else have any bike related injuries worth sharing.

Trevor.

Had the rotor-finger nail problem. Have the usually scars on my shins nothing too exciting. I think it is Ameybrook who has a proper set of impressive scars on his knee or shin!

I didn't see the Cheeses' thumb pic, and tbh I don't want to!

icantthinkofausername":2uo5ut9y said:
Had the rotor-finger nail problem. Have the usually scars on my shins nothing too exciting. I think it is Ameybrook who has a proper set of impressive scars on his knee or shin!

I didn't see the Cheeses' thumb pic, and tbh I don't want to!

'snot that bad

Attachments

• abcd0008_436[1].jpg
    abcd0008_436[1].jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 900
if it had been a cutting disk, the story would have been different luckily it was a grinding disk...

Attachments

• ABCD0008.JPG
    ABCD0008.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 894
One not enough :shock:

Strange shape of cut :? i can imagine how it looked fresh,bit of a flat there,it may have been a grinding disc ,but at 4000 rpm you might have lost it
looks like its healing well,is it itching ?i found gently [very] rubbing the area helped scratch it

V for Victory ....only it was the grinder that won :LOL:

thats the 'hunt the tendon' scars - the original cut may not have been worthy of mention if it wasnt so deep.... :shock:

is this just wrenching or riding too ?

managed to punch the floor many years ago breaking a spanner on a pedal

punched myself in the face before now doing the same :oops: :LOL:

took the skin off my knuckles removing a disc

ive broken my left wrist falling on a rock

broken left elbow after being thrown over the bars onto concrete . also cut open my chin to the bone and lost a lot of skin on my hip . still have a bit of a scar 9 years on

broken my left hand ( on the outer edge bit ) rode into a wall . was riding with a few mates from simply the bike torquay . carried on until i could no longer hold onto the bars due to the swelling so went home :LOL:

broke 3 fingers ( left index , right middle and the one next to that ) when my ss chain decided to drop going uphill , resulting in being thrown over the bars

the usual shin scars from slipped pedals

spent a lot of time sat waiting to get the feeling back in my leg after hitting my knee on the stem :LOL:

put my back out about 6 years ago hanging the rear wheel up over a double . got thrown from the lip of the landing to the pump straight on my arse . thought i was going to die as i couldnt get any breath . couldnt sit down for at least a week and it was only comfortable lying down

and of course all the cuts and bruses from bmx and coming off at speed

I bought an old Trek lugged carbon road bike thing for $300. I woke up early on a Sunday morning and decided to take it out for its maiden ride down to the beach. The path I take is elevated built up high with steep banks on either side. One side leads down to a river and that bank has sharp protruding rocks at all sorts of random angles, sitting in rough finished concrete. I was so happy cruising along at 18mph that I got distracted and decided to look to the left and steer to the right. In a split second I realised what I had done, looked straight ahead of me I find myself heading straight for one of these nasty looking rocks. Too late. My hands were sitting on the top of the bars away from the brake levers. I tried pulling the front wheel up but I was too late. Next thing I know is that I have some fellow Sunday cyclists around me. I was out cold for a minute or so. Cut both elbows, both knees, back, neck, arms and fractured my metacarpals in my right hand, yes I'm right handed. Funny thing is the most painful thing was my neck. One of the rocks with a sharp jagged tip struck me pretty good. No stitches as they couldn't get enough skin to work with.

Still with me? I'm happy that I decided to wear my helmet as I took a pretty big blow to my head. Brain buckets work! Funny thing is an inch lower and the rock would have hit my skull. In the end my old school bike I purchased for $300 turned into a $2000 venture as I had no health insurance at the time. The bike? Yeah I ripped the front end off.

I have photos somewhere.

Latest posts

Back