subwoofer problems.

gibbleking

Old School Grand Master
i have a jvc sub connected to my yamaha amp.i cannot adjust the volume on the sub it just goes up and down with the main volume.is there any way between the amp and sub i could fit a doodad that would adjust the volume second to the amp....this so i can turn the volume of the sub seperately to the amp...if ya see wat i mean. :shock:ps the sub is a powered active jobbie ..

hmm. really hard to say without details. short answer is yes, stick a preamp inbetween the main amp and the sub.
long answer, question is what outputs are you running the sub off? is it one of those prefiltered dedicated sub outputs for running 2.1 mode dolby? not going to be the tape loop cos the amp main vol wouldnt effect that. ive had amps with a pre amp stage output, would make sense if the main vol works the sub too. if it was an a/v amp you would be able to control the levels to the sub so i assume its not one of them. sometimes you can run the sub off the speaker out, but they are generally not powered subs and you probably shouldnt run a powered one off it. tbh i cant think why the sub wouldnt have controls on it, but my suggestion would be run a preamp off the tape loop output and the sub off the preamp. no scratch that my advise is to get a decent subwoofer with controls on it.

i got the amp from a dude in martham...its running dolby pro logic 5.1 thingie.the sub is connected to the sub jack out.i did have an eltax i got off ebay tuther day with volume control and phase crossover ect but my amp wouldnt run it .after 5 min the sub would turn off grr..i know the sub works cos i ran the pc thru it and that was fine.ps the eltax is now on ebay ...its beech coloured 8.2 going cheap. :p

look at the back of the sub - there should be a level adjustment of some sort, even if its a small hole marked 'level' or 'output'

Your Yamaha is pretty limited from reading the instruction manual - if watching a DVD via the 6 channel input, your DVD menu will allow for subwoofer level adjustment.

If not, nip down to Cash Converters or Ebay and buy the next model up - with Dolby Digital and DTS you'll have more fun with your cable TV. DTS and Dolby Digital encoded software adds a specific LFE channel and stereo surround channels whether its from you PC, Virgin cable box , Freeview or Sky telly.

gibbleking":18dhycbl said:
i got the amp from a dude in martham...its running dolby pro logic 5.1 thingie.the sub is connected to the sub jack out.i did have an eltax i got off ebay tuther day with volume control and phase crossover ect but my amp wouldnt run it .after 5 min the sub would turn off grr..i know the sub works cos i ran the pc thru it and that was fine.ps the eltax is now on ebay ...its beech coloured 8.2 going cheap. :p

Your Eltax sub is waiting for a voltage from your Yamaha, it has an 'autopower on' function. This is VERY annoying during quiet bits of a film as you hear the 'thump' generated by the power turning on/off... :evil: .

Dolby Prologic relies on certain frequencies in the source material (film, TV etc) to generate the extra surround channels, its not always possible when theres not enough information.

W W Biffta":31mye59g said:
hmm. really hard to say without details. short answer is yes, stick a preamp inbetween the main amp and the sub.
long answer, question is what outputs are you running the sub off? is it one of those prefiltered dedicated sub outputs for running 2.1 mode dolby? not going to be the tape loop cos the amp main vol wouldnt effect that. ive had amps with a pre amp stage output, would make sense if the main vol works the sub too. if it was an a/v amp you would be able to control the levels to the sub so i assume its not one of them. sometimes you can run the sub off the speaker out, but they are generally not powered subs and you probably shouldnt run a powered one off it. tbh i cant think why the sub wouldnt have controls on it, but my suggestion would be run a preamp off the tape loop output and the sub off the preamp. no scratch that my advise is to get a decent subwoofer with controls on it.

You could try this but it would be just as simple to replace/ update the equipment. Adding extra pre-amplifiers (ie volume controls) can also induce ground loops which give a nice annoying 'hum'.

There are subs that are designed to have a 'high level' input, these simply plug in to the amplifier's speaker terminals as you would connect speakers, then you connect your speakers to the sub's specific terminals.

I use this type between my TV's speakers as they are shite.

Back