Moral issue - stolen bikes

gradeAfailure

Senior Retro Guru
Just wondering how the RB massive would deal with this situation...

A colleague at work has been on at me for ages to sell him my hack bike as he doesn't have a decent one - has been riding in on some pig-iron POS that he got from a mate and it's finally on its way out - but he's really short of money so when I decided to sell it he couldn't afford it.

Now he tells me that he's just going to get another one from one of his dodgy mates, and in his words "I've told him to nick me a decent one this time."

I've already told him what I think of that (there were lots of expletives) and said in no uncertain terms that if he comes in on a stolen bike I'll shop him, to which his response was "You can't prove it's stolen."

What would you do in this situation? He's otherwise an alright guy, bit of a lad, and I know he wouldn't actually steal a bike himself, but has no problem taking one that he knows is.

Advice?

Guess he's a Grade A Failure not you ;)
To many people with a short term and selfish "vision" of life
Really pisses me off when people cannot place themself in someone else's situation. Causes a lot of problems in society in general. Threat people the way you would like to be threated, it's that simple :!:
......and no, I'm not a Christian :LOL:

err dunno what to say mate :roll: .
personally i know id be pissed if i had my bike stolen !!! :cry:
now dont get me wrong im not a do-gooder christian type by any means and i think rules and the law are there to be "bent" in certain circumstances !!!
but i hate fecking theiving twats.. i have 3 brothers and 2 of them are rozzers so id be morally abliged to tell the police, if its been reported stolen then im pritty sure they will be able to prove its stolen and then return it to its rightfull owner.... especially if its a "good one" as now doubt it will be expensive !!!

When he gets it...'nick' it...see if he retains his cavalier attutude to others people property.
Difficult one though...I certainly wouldn't associate myself with him....but as far a 'shopping' him...I'm not sure :?

It's a difficult one as he and I are quite matey at work, cycle in together occasionally, stuff like that... He used to hang around with some really dodgy people, generally scummy lowlifes, but in the past couple of years has been trying to distance himself from them and sort his life out a bit, which I do respect.

Problem is, he wants a decent-ish bike but can't afford even £100 for one, so he sees getting his "mate" to sort one out for him is what he sees as the solution.

Hell, if I hadn't needed the cash I'd have given him my hack and told him to pay me back at a tenner a week or something, just so he wasn't riding round on a stolen bike.

It's a tough situation...

I've got some parts I'd donate FOC to prevent him going down that path. I guess he might be choosing this option as nobody's done him a good turn and he feels society owes him one - let's do something for him then.

How about trying to set him up with a donated bike?

Stolen stuff is stolen stuff. If he goes ahead with the plan you get the frame number and call the cops to see if it's been reported. Stolen property is someone else's kit and he'll lose it and might learn a lesson.

Easy for me to say...

Having been on the loosing end of bike theft in the past I have a very simple outlook on these things.

Any friend tooling around on stolen wheels would simply no longer be a friend, and therefore deserves everything and anything that fate deals them

A colleague unfortunately would remain a colleague – doesn't mean you have to be nice to them though, does it???

I strongly believe in loyalty between friends – he knows your position on this matter the choices he makes will merely speak to character

Back