Not open for further replies.

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Anyone else read cycling books? What have you enjoyed and what stinks?

My last three:
Richard's bicycling book. A classic, everyone who's interested in bikes should read it.
Rough Ride by Paul Kimmage - God, how depressing. Makes you think about professional cycling though.
And I'm currently reading the Penguin Book of the Bicycle. Really interesting bit of history, written in the 1970s, with tours of the Reynolds works, and the original Dawes factory, and lots of history generally. All before mountain bikes though.

Books

Hi mate
Here are a couple I have enjoyed. These are off the top off my head so forgive any slightly wrong authors or titles.
Will have a look later as I have loads of cycle books, mainly travel and road bio's type thing, not a huge amount of mountain bike stuff about.

Moods of future joys - Alistair Humphreys
Thunder and sunshine - Alistair Humphreys
Really good read, has a good site as well.

Discovery road - Andy Brown - great read about riding around the world
Why dont you fly - ? Riding from Beijing to UK

In search of Robert Miller - Richard Moore
Picked up a copy at the screening of Klunkerz at Fort William when Richard was showing Roberts old film and plugging the book. A really interesting read.

Bradley Wiggins Biography
Got this for Christmas and it was a really good read, a lot more interseting than I thought it would be.

Better stop there as the longer I do this the more that come to mind. Most of the mountainbike stuff is general type things.

Jamie
Oh I nearly forgot my Stumpjumper 25 years, mine is signed by Mike Sinyard :roll:

Only Lance' autobiography, which was alright, and 'French Revolutions' by Tim Moore, which I actually really enjoyed...

"Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Nicholas ('Coast') Crane and his cousin. They cycled in 1986 from the point on the coast (near Bangladesh from memory) to the point to furthest from the coast (somewhere in China) in the world.

Makes fascinating reading - and they have quite a bit of tech info in the back on the bikes they used and the kit they took, how much it weighed etc. Great book.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Journey-Centre- ... 350&sr=8-1

Seems to be online here too in full :?

http://web.archive.org/web/200412110455 ... net/crane/

:cool: most of the stuff I've read has been roadie/tour based so some different stuff to look at :D

If anyones interested I particularly recommend

The rider tim krabbe
The flying scotsman
The robert millar book
the escape artist matt seaton

lots more too but these come to mind

Got through a few cycling books recently:

Both the Alastiar Humphrey's books are good and as Jamiedyer says he has a good blog http://www.alastairhumphreys.com/

Also read the following recently
The Flying Scotsman
The death of Marco Pantini - well worth reading
Put me back on my bike - about Tommy Simpson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back