What MTB overshoes?

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have a £30 credit to spend at chainreactioncycles.com, and I want to buy some overshoes for winter MTB riding.

Can anyone recommend me some that are rough, tough and waterproof?

Hi fella,

If I was you, unless your overshoes will be used just for road riding, I would save some more money up and get some proper winter boots.. :)

I messed about for years with different overshoes, and they did not last very long, last pair was some quality assos ones and they still got shredded , would highly recommend the shimano goretex winter boot . around £ 100.00 notes but worth every penny.. :) never looked back... ;)

Yep, agree with the Sith there, over shoes are crap, ok for road but just flap about all over the place when off road.
Get some winter boots and you will never look back ;)

I agree with the other two, save your money!
I have overshoes and use them daily on my commute and have so far purchased Altura (poor fitting and with velcro all over the place), replaced them with Endura (heavy duty neoprene, but with velcro bits that came off, and a rim that did not hold onto my northwave shoes) useless off road and just created something else to catch mud under. Finally I have a pair of Shimano PRO NPU+ these are the best I have ever used, but they are on their way out and will not be replaced.
For the price of 3 pairs of overshoes - I could have got a nice pair of Gore-Tex boots, which I would still be using now.
Ironically have a pair of Northwave Road style Winter Boots and these are great - I just regret the fact that I did not buy the off-road version and just change my pedals in winter to SPDs.
I will, though, be buying a pair of off-road boots in the future.

Hope this helps,
Roger

I agree with all of the above,I ended up(after that Lincoln ride) with North Wave Celcius winter boots and along with a pair of Merino wool socks they have been fab,even at -2 :D

My tuppence worth - I have a pair of Endura MT500 overshoes which seemed fine as long as a) you don't actually have to walk or climb anywhere or b) you don't stand in or ride though water .

So not that good then - probably ok on fireroad/ footpath type going where you just want to keep a bit of kack off your shoes (and keep your feet a bit warmer) but for anything else not that much good. And they look a bit jey and "roady-ish" for my liking.:oops: Put it this way, wear them with a pair of baggies and you look a right tw*t....(well, I did anyway).

Shimano MT90's I can't recommend enough...

as above overshoes just shred. I use goretex army surplus socks (£10 ebay) and some Shimano winter shoes MT101(?) (£21 off ebay). Make sure you get a plenty big size for the extra socks you will be wearing!

I have wide feet and no winter boot on the market is a comfortable fit. I am entirely happy with my existing shoes and use what is now the Northwave Hyper H2O overshoe. They keep the wet out and a lot of the cold too. I doubt they will make it through all of next season but I can live with that. Unfortunately CRC do not sell them but you are welcome to buy a pair from us ;)

My tupence worth on the subject ... ditch the overshoes get proper winter boots as said above. My vote goes for Specialized Defrosters, very comfortable, warm and dry. These always get slatted in the bike mag reviews but I love them. Get a size bigger than normal to allow for thicker winter socks.

I thought I would contribute as well. :)

Don't go for over shoes, just not practical for off road riding. If you can't afford winter boots, spend your £30 on a pair of Sealskinz...I have owned a pair for about 8 years and although tatty on one foot, they still keep my feet warm, even when the fill with water because they act like a wet suit sock. :) They feel a bit funny, but by all accounts the newer ones are a better fit/shape.

Back