Crank Bros pedals

Hi fella,

Used egg triple ti's for two seasons, along with the stainless type, been running candys for 8 months, and no problems so far, there are weight restrictions though on the lighter types.. easy to service, bearings may not last the longest but, they engage better IMOH than the shimano type, in really bad conditions, I also like the float on them too... I would give them a 8/10 :) :)

Recommended :)

My epic came with candys as standard, they lasted approx 10 rides before the bearings were shot. By comparison I have some XT SPD's (737's if i recall correctly) that have been on my Marin since roughly 1996, and they are still going strong.

A lot of people like em. Not me.

I have a lot of GirvinMag SPDs, and wanted to tryout the Eggbeater Candy. Honestly the float to disengage was so large that it unnerved me. After about a month and several sideplants, I took them off. You almost have to rotate 45 degrees to get out.

I did buy a set of new Ritchey V4 Comps. The engage and disengage is better than any of my previous SPD with same float and no mud clogging so far.

Just make sure to research the floats and decide before spending. Or borrow a set if possible. I learned the hard way.

I've used the Look 4x4 version of this design for a while but have reverted to Shimano 424's.

With the egg beater style the shoe sole transfers the weight of your pedal stroke to the pedal in the two narrow lines only. There is a potential wear issue there and it can be uncomfortable if the sole is not capable of distributing the load (i.e. it needs to be quite stiff). I think this should be less an issue with the versions that have cages/bodies.

They are light though and operation even in sticky mud is perfect.

Enjoy!!

I like them, get on with the float and engagement as said before is easy

shovelon":21f8w5lz said:
Honestly the float to disengage was so large that it unnerved me. After about a month and several sideplants, I took them off. You almost have to rotate 45 degrees to get out.

It depends upon which foot you fit the cleat with the 2 dots.

I've got a pair of Candy SLs for offroad duties and a pair of Eggbeater SLs on my SS road bike.

I've had the Candys for just over a year and I've not had to change the bearings yet. The eggbeaters are only 6 months old and they're fine too.

I have noticed that these pedals are very fussy about maintenance. I inject grease into my Candys once a month, or after a ride if it's especially muddy. If you don't grease them very often they go wrong a lot quicker (like Speedplays).

Back