Rapid Rise Help.

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I have never used this and assume it is Shimano's answer to the question nobody ever asked! Do I set it up the same as I would a normal setup? Or would I start the opposite way around? Do the Hi/Low screws work in the same order?

Cheers.

It makes sense to have a fast shift to a lower gear and the ergonomics make great sense with dual control shifters. However if yoiu have two bikes, each with a different spring direction, on normal STIs it is a pain.

Set up is as per a normal mech but you have to remember that your barrel adjuster is now in reverse. Requires extra concentration as if you slip into 'auto-gear-set-up' mode you constantly tweak stuff the wrong way.

Rapid rise

The high/low screws work the same.You adjust the mech.the same as normal,you just start with the cahin on the large sprocket,obviously,and go from there.The main thing is that your shifter indicator,if fitted,will work backwards.Also remember that you are now relying on just the spring tension in the rear mech. to puul the chain onto the larger sprockets,not the cable tension as with a regular mech.I dont know anyone round here who uses this type of mech,even though we have sold a few on new bikes,and as accesories. :D

Thanks for the quick replies. I wonder how long it would have taken me to suss out the barrel adjuster thing. Not before I would have thrown the bike I suspect. As I'm working on it in the living room, that would have been a bad thing!

King thing! Does it need a backwards shifter as well? I have always loved the 'Big S' but this is the work of Satan. Beginning to see why someone dumped it!

Iwasgoodonce":301y7htv said:
King thing! Does it need a backwards shifter as well? I have always loved the 'Big S' but this is the work of Satan. Beginning to see why someone dumped it!

It doesn't need a specific shifter but if the shifter you have is marked with the gear numbers then they'll be reversed on a standard shifter.

I've never understood why so many people have trouble with these mechs. :? I've found them as easy to set up as the conventional ones. Also I think that they are more logical. If the gear cable snaps you're dumped into a low gear instead of a high one.

The real problem is they wear out quicker, because the spring has to do more work.
Bridgestone had a front mech made by IRD which was sprung the opposite way, which is a much better way to have both levers go the same way.
If it's the Mongoose, bin the mech. It's only a Tourney, sure someone will give you a mech for karma.

I've got the equivalent of front mech Rapid Rise on my Dave Yates.

still not got used to it - even though I've had it fitted since 96!

Back