Press release- Dr S's big news!

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Well here it is, the wait is over, I can now share the big news with my Retro buddies, this is the big opportunity that came my way last week ;)

PRESS RELEASE
Not to be published before 18:00hrs 10-2-09

SJR Historic Motorsport

24hr Du Mans Classic 2010

SJR Historic Motorsport are proud to announce it's intended participation in the 4th running of the world famous Le Mans Classic 24hr in 2010. The Northumbrian team will be entering an exact replica of the Group 3 SAAB 93b entered by Sydney Hurrell and Roy North in June 1959. It is intended that the car will be entered alongside a sister car run by Retrospective Motorsport of Sweden and owned by Bo Lindman. This particular SAAB, a replica of the Swedish entered 93b that finished 12th overall in the 1959 event, won the Index Of Efficency at the 2008 Classic on SAAB's first appearance in the legendary endurance classic for 49 years.

After four years of painstaking research and two years of searching for a suitable car, a 1958 SAAB 93b has been aquired and preparation to period Group 3 race specification will begin in March. The team's target is to have the car ready for summer 2009 and then begin a programe of testing and development over the following year before its Le Mans debut in July 2010. Entries are also being sought for this years Goodwood Revival and Spa 6 hours as well as selected rounds of the Top Hat Historic series.

Further details will follow shortly, including the driver line up which hopefully will include a former British Touring Car star. There is also interest from a film production company regarding the making of a documentary following the teams quest for victory at Le Sarthe to be shown on terrestrial TV in late 2010, details are to be confirmed over the next few weeks. A major international Magazine has also shown an interest in covering the project in its various stages.

SJR Historic Motorsport are now looking for partners in this adventure and will be employing a PR agency to maximise exposure for partner companies and organisations. If you know of any company that would like to get involved in this exciting adventure please contact Simon on 07900 813717

Further details on the event can be found at http://www.lemansclassic.com

The sister car can be seen at
http://www.retrospectivemotorsport.se/news_30.html

SJR Historic Motorsport
10-2-09

So there you have it. I have been waiting since June 1979 to get this opportunity. I made my first visit to Le Mans that year as a seven year old and decided there and then that racing motorcars was all I wanted to do with my life.
Incredibly exciting and a boyhood dream come true but also equally frightening, we need to find money to make it all happen which ain't going to be easy in the current climate :? Its going to be tough getting everything in place but we can pull it off and this is going to be huge!

Wish me luck :LOL:

Cheers
Si

Dr S that is amazing, are you going to be a driver or mechanic? There will be a lot of jealous people on this site including me.

The Ken":2awhlzwo said:
Dr S that is amazing, are you going to be a driver or mechanic? There will be a lot of jealous people on this site including me.

Driver! :D :D :D :D
Team owner :? :? :? :shock:
and probably mechanic too :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Wasn't too far off with the Stratos :roll: :LOL:
Congratulations and lots of good luck!!
When is the Spa race (not too far for me ;) )
cheers Roy

Is it going to have a RB sticker on it? Love the idea of a RB sticker going round Le Mans

Fantastic!

I thought this was going to be about frame building (did you bid on/win that kit on ebay by the way?)

Brilliant idea regarding the RB sticker :p we could all club together as a sponsor.

Back