Least Loved of the Big American Brands

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
I know this has probably been discussed but what company of the big North American brands that can be seen on any high street in the world would you veiw as the company of last resort if you were going to buy a bike. I'd like to keep this to hardtails as they are the most orthodox design.

With hardtails for me its Trek, they do not excite me, I quickly move my gaze onto other stuff, why I'm not clear, probably a poor reason :roll:

What do you lot think, Dales and GT's seem favoured as well as Spesh but what is not ?

Remember only the BIG brands that really work on their designs and promotion etc

Please also lets not get into a slagging match over one anothers choices unless its funny of course :D

Cheers

How can you possibly diss Trek? Recommended in the very smartest circles.

Attachments

• 2008 trek with George Bush.jpg
    2008 trek with George Bush.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,334
I always liked Trek and Marin in the early 90's. Lots of people round me had them in the early 90's especially Marin. It wasn't until I joined this forum that I realised people found Trek's "un-cool". Mind you i know virtually nothing about bikes past '96...

Brands of last resort, for me anyway, are Specialized, GT and Kona (it's on the American continent!).

In my head I know they're good bikes but I just don't like them. Never have done. Maybe because so many people have them and I like bikes that are a bit different.

Bitd I had a Marin Palisades '91 and I was one of the very few in my area to do so. Once they became more popular I got rid of it and got myself an Orange Prestige instead. :cool:

yep trek . they are the kinda thing id picture alan partridge riding

aha ! ive got a trekk , kiss my face :LOL:

giving them away slightly damaged on a book promotion

No hardtail that is manufactured via a subcontractor in the Far East is cool so that is most of them.

Most annoying has to be On-One (if you count them as big?). I've no beef with the products or the business model. Just with the riders who seem to think that they are riding something special or niche.

Look at that! Three posts made at exactly the same time! :shock:

Let's see how many we can make simultaneously! :)

Kona - Idiots stole them to ride them where I lived and grew up, tainting what was one of the best handling bikes I had..

Marin - just not that exciting until the Mt. Vision came out and I bought one.

Trek - :?

Raliegh USA - never will a Raliegh badge mean anything more to me than 'cheap'

GT - even though I own one (3), I wouldnt go and buy a new one

Scott - zzzzzzzzz...

Giant: only look good with that red/ yellow blue/ colour scheme some moons ago.

Just re-read the subject clicking in here and I concur. Nor are Kona to the best of my knowledge and i though that Scott were Swiss.

Back