Learning to play an instrument

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
Has anyone recently tried/succeeded in learning a new instrument? The only challenge I have set myself this year (it is NOT a new years resolution!) is to learn to play something. Now I am reasonably musical, can keep time and have played a couple of instruments in the past (never to a very high standard though) however I cannot read music.

I am going to give the Harmonica a crack, mainly because I like the noise it makes in Black Sabbath's 'The Wizard', and partly because it is small, and hopefully reasonably inexpensive.

I would rather do it all on my own, ie not paying for lessons, so, is it easy to learn via book/DVD, can I just rock up in a Music shop and ask them for a Harmonica? will I end up looking like a street-walking hobo or that annoying guy at barbecues who whips out a musical instrument and 'entertains' people till they politely make their excuses and leave/douse him in vodka and set him alight?

I guess I could ask all this in a music forum, but better the devil you know eh?

I learnt to play instruments and read music the hard way, years of lessons and practice, not much help I know but once you can read music you can pick up almost any instrument fairly quickly once you have the technique sorted.

In your position I would get a 'Learn to play the harmonica' book and start from page one and follow it through to the end.

Hi Guys, I've been reading stuff on here for a little while (a former Woolies employee with plenty of spare time). Haven't felt the need to say anything before but now's as good as anytime to start.

About 8 months ago I decided to take up Piano, I had played instruments when younger but nothing serious and it was quite a while ago.

I personally decided that the best way to do it was to take lessons, it worked out at £9 a week for a 30 minute lesson (pretty cheap). For me it was definitely the way to do it. By having lessons I always had a target and I would keep practising so that I wouldn't look stupid at my lessons each week. Also by having a teacher they can correct the mistakes you don't even know you are making.

How am I getting on now? I had to move away 2 months ago and since then my playing has pretty much stopped. I go through the books but struggle for motivation. I will need to get a teacher again to get back into it.

If you feel that you can motivate yourself / you want to test the water and see if you can get into it then perhaps self tutoring would work for you. I have never tried the DVD option, though I guess they would be a little more interesting than using books, also, being able to hear what you are trying to play is very useful.

Perhaps it would be worth you having a chat with the local music shop? I'm sure they would be keen to help out.

I played Hammond and Electric Piano in a band about 10 years ago and could play bass and did backing vocals. Rest of the band turned into ******* smackheads and sold off all our PA behind my back so packed it in. Haven't picked up an instrument since.

Oh well, was fun whilst it lasted and there was lots of sex. Never mind.

Si

i think i have a book some where, harmonica for the musically hopeless. do you want me to dig it out?

theboy":ohxbwod7 said:
I am going to give the Harmonica a crack, mainly because I like the noise it makes in Black Sabbath's 'The Wizard', and partly because it is small, and hopefully reasonably inexpensive.

I would rather do it all on my own, ie not paying for lessons, so, is it easy to learn via book/DVD, can I just rock up in a Music shop and ask them for a Harmonica?

Well, by all means go to a music shop and find a tuition book or CD, but you want one for Blues harp technique and not Chromatic Harmonica.
And, of course, there's loads of info on the interweb...

http://www.harmonicalessons.com/beginner_which.html

I'm no harmonica player (but I have been an acoustic and electric bass player in blues, rock and jazz bands for 40 years) and I would say just give it a go really. Do you have any mates who play blues harp or is there a blues club nearby?
If so, any of those guys would be only too happy to give you a few tips in exchange for a beer or two, I'm sure.

Harryburgundy":208wivw7 said:
I played Hammond
:cool:

I tried the Saxaphone...and taught myself to read music..had Soprano, Alto and Tenor.....but at the end of the day...I was shite :LOL:

Quite fancy a Bango and trying again.

"Welcome to Heaven, here's your harp - Welcome to Hell Carl, here's your banjo......." :LOL:

Actually, I really like banjo as an instrument - think Bela Fleck.

Andy R":11n9h0g9 said:
Harryburgundy":11n9h0g9 said:
I played Hammond
:cool:

I tried the Saxaphone...and taught myself to read music..had Soprano, Alto and Tenor.....but at the end of the day...I was shite :LOL:

Quite fancy a Bango and trying again.

"Welcome to Heaven, here's your harp - Welcome to Hell Carl, here's your banjo......." :LOL:

Actually, I really like banjo as an instrument - think Bela Fleck.

:LOL: :LOL: Noticed I have corrected my spelling now :oops: :LOL:

Latest posts

Back