Question for trade Car Mechanics

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Just starting to get the hump a little

Put the bus in for a service on the 13th of Jan , And from bringing the car back from Brighton the day before I had a feeling the Head Gasket was on its way ..... So armed with a big list of jobs that needed sorting i took it down the garage but said to the wife/reception to check the head gasket first as I think its going .....

Not a word back from them so on the 17th at 16:30 (friday) I ring them up for a progress report .... They have done all the jobs but just taken it for a road test and they think the head gasket is going ..... REALLY!?!?!?

To cut a long story short its now the 8th of Feb and I still dont have it back :twisted: :twisted: , I am very reluctent to ring them as towards the 2nd week I rang 3 times to find out what was going on as I hear nothing back from them .....

So what do you think ?? I really want to have bit of a pop but dont think thats going to help get it back any quicker.... And also they knew dad pretty well ( went to funeral ) so dont want to cause any unhappy feelings .... JUST WANT THE BUS BACK !! :cry:

Right got that off my chest can go to bed now :LOL:

You don't say what type of bus it is Daj- if it's old or exotic there might be parts issues- some older parts are a pain to get lately as wholesalers and motor factors are cutting back product lines and stock levels as the Credit Crunch kicks in.
If they are a good garage they will also be rebuilding the heads whilst off the car- valves to re seat, ports to clean, valve guides to change etc. The heads should be skimmed and pressure tested too which is an outside job in 99% of cases.
On the other hand they could be cowboys who have taken the last 3 weeks to get to page 15 of last septembers copy of Nuts.
if they are not too far away I would try just popping in to we whats happening- they cannot bullshit you and it always puts a bit of pressure on them as they never know when you might call in again.

Si

Its the Retrobike Bus !!

I would like to think/hope damage was minimal as it was never run while over hot it was just using about 2 litres of water over about 75 miles which never dropped lower than the top up tank.

Hmmm will ring them this morining to find out whats going on :?

DSC05134.jpg

Aha - a Renault - they tend to lop off supply of parts for models over 10 years old more than any other manufacturer, or make them very expensive once the car has gone out of production.

no excuse for them chap
way too long for a service/headgasket job even on a french car!!! (i hate working on renault/pugs et al)
this is poor service with even poorer communication big time
i would be getting the arse with them by now cheif
rob
ex maindealer mech/mot tester/mercedes 24 hour call out tech

Woe, woe and thrice woe:-(

Motor cars. Don't you just love them?

In the last 10 days I have suffered....

1. Alfa 156. Contaminated fuel from local Morrisons. Won't run above 3000rpm and won't go up hills. Great! Struggled back from town at 40mph on the motorway. I know I'll use the Jensen.
2. Five hours later, same stretch of motorway, just after midnight and cruising at around 120, huge bang and car spins wildly and stops pointing the wrong way. Gearbox failure. Police. Towtrucks. Oil everywhere and 2 wrecked tyres plus a scrap Torqueflite gearbox.
3. Yesterday the electronic handbrake of wifes year old Renault decided to malfunction after a particularly cold walk around a country park. Result? Handbrake stuck on, no tools and no mobile signal. Hungry kids kicking off, wife complaining about me not being able to do anything. got home 3 hours later than planned.

The exhaust fell off the truck this morning on my way to work. Ho hum.

Today I will be mostly disliking cars!

Si

1. Alfa 156. Contaminated fuel from local Morrisons. Won't run above 3000rpm and won't go up hills. Great! Struggled back from town at 40mph on the motorway. I know I'll use the Jensen.
2. Five hours later, same stretch of motorway, just after midnight and cruising at around 120, huge bang and car spins wildly and stops pointing the wrong way. Gearbox failure. Police. Towtrucks. Oil everywhere and 2 wrecked tyres plus a scrap Torqueflite gearbox.
3. Yesterday the electronic handbrake of wifes year old Renault decided to malfunction after a particularly cold walk around a country park. Result? Handbrake stuck on, no tools and no mobile signal. Hungry kids kicking off, wife complaining about me not being able to do anything. got home 3 hours later than planned.

Blimey ..... they say it comes in threes so hopefully thats it hey

Just spoke to them .... "Its been worked on as we speak" .... She actually sounded pleased to tell me this .... Mate I just wanted to shout at her " I should bloody think so you have had it a month" :evil: :evil: :evil:

Too soft for my own good sometimes :roll: :roll:

Back