The Time Trial Season is Starting

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Yep, it's that time of year again when all the mad roadie's think about racing again. I'm hoping to be no exception this year and will try to ride regular time trials, mainly in the Yorkshire area but with possible forays into Cheshire, Notts or Lincs.

The list of events is now available on line on the Cycling Time Trials website and is complete with event organiser and course details (although this is currently being built up) and entry forms can be downloaded.

http://cyclingtimetrials.janet0102.co.u ... fault.aspx

I have sent my first entry off today for the Yorkshire Cycling Federation 10 mile on 22 Feb at Tadcaster and will start a thread in 'Events' to let you know what happens.

Anyone else going to join me in pitting themselves against the watch this year? If you want any advice or assistance I'll try to help.

Oh, and I've also joined the CTC ( http://www.ctc.org.uk/ ) to take advantage of their insurance cover and legal assistance which covers members when riding Time Trials. Highly recommended.

Another Oh! - this means I probably won't be able to go on the Scunny ride which is a pity but I can't be in two places at once :(

Sold all my TT stuff last year after not using it for a while and not feeling any intention coming on to use it,not enough sporting circuit type courses round here,might do the Holme Valley Wheelers Good friday mountain tt though,that was fun,3 laps taking in 3 ascents of Axe edge in the Peaks and hitting 50+ on the descents!Only need a road bike for that aswell as theres a seperate catagory.
Otherwise its Road racing and mtb racing for me :D

I shall be taking part in local club nights and the odd open event in Herefordshire. I wonder why on earth I do it while being held up and counted down for the start - but once you're off it's good for the adrenalin rush!

I'll never be any good - started far too, late in life for that but it's fun trying - at least I THINK the word is fun.

I don't TT on anything retro though - carbon TCR I'm afraid!

Yep, I'll be doing a few this year. Will be a bit faster than last year, but not much. I was too slack with my training over winter. 6 weeks to go, so maybe I won't be too bad.

Probably be riding my crappy Moser, but might do a couple on my old Roberts, which the previous owner said belonged to Tony Doyle. Doesn't make me any faster tough!

I'm still not sure if it is fun... Definitely gets your fitness up a bit though.

Time trialling was the only thing I was any good at in this part of the world.

And the only time I ever got good placings as all the road races finish in bunch sprints and I'm not exactly "nordic" of build.

But 2 time trials per season (in Denmark there is no RTTC/DCU parallel calendar like in the UK) was never going to get me up to the next cat.

Luckily I became a dad in 98 and have been able to use that as an excuse for not renewing my racing licence, ever since.

But now the kids are getting so big that I'm soon going to have to get back in shape as the excuse will no longer be valid in a couple of years.

I rode the event and improved over my December time by 2 1/2 minutes doing 28-15 which I'm quite pleased with. I rode on my Dave Russell but next time I'm going to try my TCR now fitted with tri-bars. I didn't fancy using them for the first time with the wind on Sunday but I'll keep practising!

Next event hopefully on March 14.

Back