Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:08 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:23 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

10,000 steps a day. Sounds drastic but it's habit forming and it works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:26 pm 
Old School Grand Master

When I have the time I ride three times a week, although like Pickle, the arrival of a 'little'un' has totally scuppered my riding over the past 14-15 months. Managed 50 miles last week, including a trip to Cannock Chase, thats pretty much the least I'll do when I'm blessed with the time/weather :)

If I'm honest, I've ridden less than 20 times over the past 12 months, which is pitiful. Resuming normal service this year though... hopefully!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:30 pm 
Old School Grand Master

Sean Kelly used to say that you don't know it's cold, wet and horrible out until you go out and try! Pickle's regime sounds about the best you could hope for with little 'uns about. Also they WILL pass on whatever virus is going around playgroup/school that week.

I lost a lot of weight and gained a lot of fitness on a similar routine, then one of the snot twins coughed in my face and I was ill for six weeks!!

This time I aim to do longer rides whenever I can, set no targets other than a very long term one and avoid dissapointment! A raging pesimist, what me??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:47 pm 
Old School Hero

I always find it hard to get out on the bike during the week in winter, I'm not the biggest fan of night time mud plugging and the turbos gathering dust in the garage.

Currently just trying to get a coupe of runs in a week, light free weights for core strength and at least one good hard ride at the weekend with lots of hills :twisted:

Also trying to eat well, not booze it up too much :oops: and listen to my body, ie not push it when I'm feeling tired etc, which tends to lead to colds and general doom.

Targets wise I'm planning a bit of XC racing this year (Gorricks and Southern XC) and a couple of enduros and 12 hr races to keep me focused.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:59 pm 
Retro Guru

75 miles (clun and back for any shropshire lads on here) on the road saturday and gotta admit the last 10 miles were VERY hard. Plugging away into a strong head wind for 35 miles is not fun. The moron the mondeo that tried to kill me was the icing on the cake, still I took a photo of his car so will paying the police a visit when the snow allows! :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:41 am 
Retro Guru

I do absolutely no training what so ever,just sit and eat cakes all day,well that's what all my club mates tell me right before they drop me up the next climb :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:18 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

i think ive just had a rant in the wrong thread :lol:

mjn you need to stop with the long base mile road rides and take up short burst single speeding , thatl increase your aerobic capacity to keep up :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:24 am 
Old School Grand Master

perry wrote:
i think ive just had a rant in the wrong thread :lol:

mjn you need to stop with the long base mile road rides and take up short burst single speeding , thatl increase your aerobic capacity to keep up :lol:

Sounds right! Intervals help you recovery times in a race. We used to play 'Red Car'. You would ride along at a steady pace until a red car passed in either direction. Now change up two gears (whatever the gradient) and sprint hard. Continue until another red car passes. Change down to previous (suitable) gear and repeat.

This was on road bikes. One time we were both suffering a little from drink so we decided to play 'Pink Bently'. Unbelievably (really) one drove past!! Two miles later saw us puking at the road side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:35 am 
West Midlands AEC
West Midlands AEC

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:40 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

it was a sarcastic overtone to a different thread

ill spare my views on excessive interval methods but i will say i wouldnt rapid charge a battery and expect it to have a full charge for a long time , if i wanted long term durability and reliance from it id go for a trickle charge

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next