Integrated headsets ?

jimihendrix

MacRetro Rider
What does this mean ?, how can you tell when one is integrated and how do you know when a frame is made for an integrated headset ?

no headset cups

an angular bearing sits on a conical seat machined in the headtube

there are at least 2 different degrees used so theres hiddenset/integrated one of which is a campagnolo type . but ill leave it to someone else to tell which is which

not entirely :LOL:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/fix/?id ... _headtypes

but if there is an angled edge in the tube itl be integrated or the campy integrated

if your looking at getting a frame you just need to find out what the angle is

i had a bmx around 04 that was one of the first to use integrated and it was great . couldnt overtighten and once set didnt come loose . ever . no tools needed either just pop the bearings in

It was in my head as i'm about to buy a headset for the 2000 San Andreas and that's the youngest frame i've owned :LOL:

I'll just go for a conventional heavy duty one ;)

It's easy really. If the headset's had a production run of 6, is impossible to get out or needs " special attachments " for your headset press to fit and wears out in 20 minutes then it's an intergrated one.

Twitch

Gibber.

AAGGHHH!!!

I'm going to have a bit of a lie down now.

Agency_Scum":346ysqpj said:
and wears out in 20 minutes then it's an intergrated one.

And don't forget that it knackers your frame when it wears out too!

Agency_Scum":3tzf7adv said:
It's easy really. If the headset's had a production run of 6, is impossible to get out or needs " special attachments " for your headset press to fit and wears out in 20 minutes then it's an intergrated one.

Just found an intigrated one for sale on CRC, they recommend buying a good one as "they are exposed to water and mud and are hard to replace" :shock:

Dont think they are fans of them either :LOL:

not sure if its my inner luddite showing through but i really dont like the idea of integrated/semi integrated headsets...

jimihendrix":2seyo93j said:
Just found an intigrated one for sale on CRC, they recommend buying a good one as "they are exposed to water and mud and are hard to replace" :shock:

Sounds like someone is getting confused between internal and integrated headsets.

Internal headsets use cups that fit inside the headtube (like Giant bikes use). Integrated headsets have a profiled headtube where the bearings fit directly into it without the use of cups (like various road bikes and BMXs).

Personally I've never had a problem with fitting either type of headset. :)

Back