Bike Mounted GPS?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
I was wondering if anyone offers a bar mounted gps system witht he necessary long life battery pack that has the road network as per your gps in the car? I know Tomtom do one for motorbikes that would no doubt plug into the bike's 6 volt system?

Is there anything anyone knows of?

I bought I bike mount for my Tomtom but haven't needed to use it yet.
Tbh, the battery life is so shite now that I doubt I could travel far enough to get lost!

i made my own, using a metal case and a handlebar mounted bottle cage holder, works a treat, not waterproof though, but then also modded a mini usb calbe with a connection to my light batter, so now i have more power otherthan the phones battery.

I've just bought a Garmin Edge 705. The battery life is quoted at 15 hours and I've bought a package with the full UK maps. I don't expect it to work any thing like a car sat nav though.. but thats not what i've bought it for.

I use my Blackberry that has GPS built into it and downloaded googlemaps (street maps and satellite images). The battery will last for ages - however it is very data hungry (mine's through work so what do I care ;) ) as none of the maps are stored on board. Limited by phone signal in more remote areas of course, too.

I've been using my Nokia N95 with sportstracker. Seems ok, haven't tried uploading to google earth though. It can only track though :?
If you want bar mounted though, you want Satmap, not cheap but very impressive

SM-ACT10-V1BXD_thumb.jpg

http://www.satmap.com/index.php

I use my Sony Ericsson X1 with a mixture of tomtom and Memory maps (full OS maps). I take a spare battery with me but normally get a decent rides worth out of one battery

Edit: Satmap is deffinately the best choice if you have the money

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm still planning to attempt some looonnnggg rides and don't want to have to carry loads of maps. So I really want the sort of thing you have in the car. I will sacrifice a road map and remove the relevant pages and rely on 'pace notes' but still anticipate getting lost!

Back