Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:25 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 8:54 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Andy R wrote:
GarethPJ wrote:
Discs? No thanks. V brakes are more than good enough to lock the front wheel, why would you need better brakes than that?

Because disc brakes offer better modulation (so that you don't lock the wheel), don't collect mud and crap like V brakes tend to do, work predictably in wet and muddy conditions and don't wear your rims away.

That's enough advantages for me anyway.

:lol: Yup...gotta agree with you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:03 am 
Old School Grand Master

To get back onto the topic :roll: I think SS does improve fitness as it forces you out of your comfort zone - certainly I have to force it up every hill and it's the choice of that or walk.

The other thing is lightness. Ditching gears and sus forks saves a shedload of weight.

I run 32x17, with a screw-on Shimano freewheel. The freewheels are poorly sealed (well, unsealed :shock:) and certainly are going nowhere near a hose in future. Strange noises after 250 miles is not what I'm used to !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 9:20 am 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

Agree
BTW...there are plenty of alternatives to White freewheels. Have a look at
http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/search.php?category_id=16
I have the Try-all and can't complain. Instant engagement, seems strong so far.....and very loud on freewheel....which is either a good thing or a bad thing....but its better than a bell for clearing walkers out of the way :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:48 am 
Retro Guru

I don't think it improves fitness,4hr road rides averaging over 20mph do that,it does improve your love of cycling though cos ssing is great fun,4hr road rides ave over 20mph are not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:11 am 
Retro Guru

What's speed got to do with fitness? Riding SS or fixed might not be as fast (to listen to some of the fixed community it's faster) but if you put in the effort you get fitter.

Cycling is high efficiency locomotion so you won't get as fit as you would by, say, running. Ride a single gear your increasing the effort so it should have correspondingly higher gains.

I remember a sports coach once saying to me, "If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, cycle."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:11 am 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

why does every mention of a single gear promote a discussion on its merits and possible downfalls :?

speed over time or distance is a pretty good measure of fitness . it cant just be a coincidence that most other sports use road cycle training as a means to maintain and improve performance

weight lifters put in a decent effort . i wouldnt say they were very fit though . comeon its a completely different kind of twitch fiber . explosive strength isnt comparable to prolonged endurance . it seems like effort is being misinterpreted as determination

id laugh in the face of a " sports coach " who quoffs at such a low impact / high aerobic gaining activity

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:00 am 
Old School Grand Master

Harryburgundy wrote:
Agree
BTW...there are plenty of alternatives to White freewheels. Have a look at
http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/search.php?category_id=16
I have the Try-all and can't complain. Instant engagement, seems strong so far.....and very loud on freewheel....which is either a good thing or a bad thing....but its better than a bell for clearing walkers out of the way :lol:

Harry, thanks for the link.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:06 pm 
Retro Guru

perry wrote:
why does every mention of a single gear promote a discussion on its merits and possible downfalls :?

speed over time or distance is a pretty good measure of fitness . it cant just be a coincidence that most other sports use road cycle training as a means to maintain and improve performance

weight lifters put in a decent effort . i wouldnt say they were very fit though . comeon its a completely different kind of twitch fiber . explosive strength isnt comparable to prolonged endurance . it seems like effort is being misinterpreted as determination

id laugh in the face of a " sports coach " who quoffs at such a low impact / high aerobic gaining activity

Exactly what I was trying to say but not very well :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:10 pm 
Retro Guru

GarethPJ wrote:
What's speed got to do with fitness? Riding SS or fixed might not be as fast (to listen to some of the fixed community it's faster) but if you put in the effort you get fitter.

Cycling is high efficiency locomotion so you won't get as fit as you would by, say, running. Ride a single gear your increasing the effort so it should have correspondingly higher gains.

I remember a sports coach once saying to me, "If you can't run, walk. If you can't walk, cycle."

What do you mean what has speed got to do with fitness? If you hadn't noticed the fitter you are the faster you go cos to go faster is harder due to wind resistance etc.
I hope you didn't pay that sports coach for that snippet of wisdom,can't imagine he'd of got a job at British cycling :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:14 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

I think what some people (including me) are trying to say is...roughly this...oh and lets forget about wind resistance.

In theory..two bikes...one geared, one singlespeed. Riders of equal fitness etc etc...
Lets say the geared bike is travelling at 15mph. Lets say that equates to a comfortable cadence for the SS bike.
Go faster and the geared bike simply changes gear...with a bit more effort. I would say the SSer would have to put in significantly more effort to maintain that speed.
The same for going up hill etc
Extrapolate that over a ride, and the SSer is putting in more effort for the same results plus a greater variance in cadence = using different muscle groups...legs and upper body.
But at the end of the day....who cares :lol:
I'm definately fitter for riding SS....and thats all that counts to me :D

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next