A PC Record?

Iwasgoodonce

Old School Grand Master
My laptop just took 3 minutes and 48 seconds to send a very short PM. Is this a record? It doesn't do pictures, avatars, those silly little faces or even the Home, Forum etc, icons along the top of the screen.

I think it's time will soon be up! I keep getting this "Your virtual memory is very low" message. Is that bad?

Prob too low on physical RAM, if you have enough disk space you can increase the virtual memory but it's still going to be slow. Depending on what laptop it is it might be cheaper to buy some new ram and stick it in. I upgraded a friends laptop last week with an extra 1GB of RAM for £15 and now it's run alot better. She was ready to replaced it but most time you won't need to. Send me the model number and i'll tell you how much it will be to upgrade!!

if your giving it away ill have it

virtual memory is kinda memory you dont really have but can borrow from programs not using their full quota

Sounds like you don't have enough RAM and windows is using your hardrive for extra memory (much slower than RAM). And it also sounds like your hardrive is pretty close to being full or your virtual memory setting is set to low.
Cheapest option by far is to buy some RAM. It will improve the speed no end!

Start->control panel->system->advanced->performance->settings->performance options-advanced->virtual memory->change,dont forget to click set then apply as you exit

Empty Cache-browser,all the usual

Transfer unused pics ,files and any thing you've not used for a while, to disc [be brutal :LOL: ]

Go to disk clean up-> click all the boxes-> run it

Run any anti-virus ,check for disk clean up settings if you have the option,many of the security software have mini registry cleaners and the like .Run them all and shred everything [if you have the option plus whats left takes up less space ;) ]

run defragmenter [only after you've done the above]

More Ram will make a mindbogglingly big difference but clean the system first

:D :D :D

Go to disk clean up-> click all the boxes-> run it

I would not tick all the boxes. Leave the compress old files options blank. Otherwise it will compress all the operating system files that the system uses and when it needs to call them there's an overheard in uncompressing them.

Latest posts

Back