How many hours a week at work?

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Just sat over my 90th cup of coffee on my second 19 hour shift in a row- yes 7am wed to 2am thurs, back in at 7am and still in the sodding office now catching up on paperwork. Just remembered that we need the truck on Sturday morning and it's in hundreds of bits in the paintshop, so when I finish this cuppa it's back on with the overalls and make a start. Got a meeting at 9 am and probably won't get finished until 11. The big trucks arrive at 12 to pick up the larger gear thats going up to the new garage, so thats another three hours min. IF our truck gets finished this morning I can go home around 4pm - that will be 33hrs straight through :? I'm shattered and would love to go to bed.

Does anyone else have to put up with shit? :cry:

Anyone else stuck at work??

Sounds like the joy of working for yourself?

I'm in by 7.30am each day. Usually out by 7pm, but constantly on blackberry or remote access most evenings until it's time for bed as HQ is 8 hours behind in London.

No complaints, though. I love it.

long hours

must be a man of steel fella :LOL:

on the other hand, with the current economic situation.... LOTS out there would kill to be in your shoes ;)

I am sure when you go to bed, you will fall asleep like a baby, and worry less... not cursing at Gordon-B or NORTHERN-ROCK for starting the fire of what followed :LOL:

Guess the de-caf will keep you company at-least ;)

I'm stuck at work. my shift pattern is 12 hours for 4 days and then 4 off, then 4 nights. etc. good having lots of time off and working hard for 12 hours it the same amount of time people spend getting to work, working and then staying late and getting home again. I manage to get to work in 10 mins and then work solid for 12 hours...nothing like what you're doing though...sounds crazy. Let's hope the right bits go out on the right lorry!! Strange things can happen when you have lack of sleep.

I've driven home after a night shift and it was like a dream....not sure if I was asleep or not but i don't remember the journey at all!!

Still going although I admit to having had an hours kip in the truck at 5 this morning- feel worse for it.

Only time I usually go this long without sleep is at Le Mans where it's not unusual to go 90+ hours without so much as a cat nap. I remember getting home in 2002 having set a new 100+ hr personal best, and falling asleep whilst taking a shower. Your mind does funny things when it has gone that long without sleep- I was beginning to get mild halucinations at one point.
Well I'm going home for a wash and change- back in to work in 90 mins to start another epic shift.

Si

About 8am to 5 / 5.30pm, Mon to Fri.

Sometimes in on a Sat for a couple of hours.

Mobile always on though, occasional evening call and sometimes when on hols.

I used to work long hours on the HGV's before the ministry really started clamping down on dodgy driving.

Monday to Friday 6am - 6pm
then on a friday night i would go back in at 10pm - 10am
Then Saturday 9pm - 7am Sunday morning

Sleep all day Sunday then start again Monday, Did this for nearly 7yrs. Then packed in and went working permanent nights for a few years up till September when i was made redundant.

I am contracted for 37.5 hours a week, but always ready to help out if needs be.

When I am doing self employed contracts I work as much as possible as every hour is worth it.

Dr S":1zbh9xd7 said:
Anyone else stuck at work??
16 hours plus at my desk most weekdays, and occasional weekend work too. Haven't had a full week off in 2 1/2 years...

On the other hand I don't often have to work right through the night - I don't do well on less than 5 hours sleep. Yesterday was pretty typical - up at 7, at my desk at 7:30, working until midnight, out on the bike until 1:30, in bed at 2, up at 7.

The joys of self employment!

None at the moment as my place was shut down last Thursday :evil: Everyone was finished, even the spiders had to leave the premises.
I used to work anything from 10 to 16 hours a day, depending on how much overtime I could get.

Latest posts

Back