Tools

BarneyRubble

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi Everybody!

I am rapidly approaching 30 and have been asked by my family what I would like for my birthday. having recently decided that I can actually service my bike better than my LBS (they just don't seem to care), but not having any proper tools to speak of, I have decided to ask for a work stand and tools.

My questions to the Retrobike assembled brains are:

1. Can anyone recommend a good starter tool box that includes the essentials? When i worked in a shop we only used Park, but their kits start at £350 :shock: so are a bit expensive, but I have seen a BBB one on CRC and it looks OK, but I have no experience of the quality. (If there is one thing more annoying than not having the right tool, it's having a poor quality tool that won't do the job.)

2. If there is no consensus on a ready made kit...what tools would you consider essential for routine servicing/builds (excluding things like BB facing tools and Headset Presses! :) )

Help! :)

too poor at the moment so no but ill be using webline for the facing tools and more specific cycle tools and continuing to collect the smaller of the park stuff as and when money allows

Dar Kuma":7dzjpzmg said:
Halfords do a Minoura workshop type stand which is pretty good for about 80 quid

I know that Halfords serve a purpose and give people jobs etc, but I won't buy bike stuff in there because I hate them and what they represent. (just my opinion) :)

BarneyRubble":1gf25vhc said:
Thanks chaps, have you both used the tools in question? What is the quality like?

I'd say they'd be OK for home use but they're not good enough for shop use.

Mind you going by the collections of some of the members here their home use probably would exceed any shop use! :LOL: :LOL:

Personally I use Park tools at home. My tool kit is more extensive than my LBS' one but it's taken me about 10 years to collect it all.

I'd rather spend my money on one good tool than 3 or 4 lower quality ones.

Xesh":2zcfurg8 said:
I'd rather spend my money on one good tool than 3 or 4 lower quality ones.

Me too, I think I might try and get the family to stump up for the Park kit that retails at £269, which I have seen at £221. I have a big family, so if they split the cost it won't be too bad! :LOL:

Back