How would you like to ride in this? ...

Arran

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I took a photo of the temperature in the car on the way home tonight (Melbourne, AU).

Temp280109.jpg

It's currently still 40 degrees and it's 9:49 pm!

Here's the forecast for the rest of the week (from memory):

Thursday - 43 degrees C
Friday - 41 degrees C
Saturday - 35 degrees C
Sunday - 36 degrees C

:shock:

My girlfriend is from SA and is endlessly jealous of any location getting that sort of temp. I tend to think that much over 30 becomes uncomfortable for riding but equally I cannot help but feel that just a little bit of a Summer might be nice this year.

mtbfix":3cdrk1ky said:
My girlfriend is from SA ...

SA is copping is just as bad as us. Today they reached 45.6 deg (their 4th hottest day on record). Lance struggled during the Tour Downunder there last week. :D

She'd love that. I think the problem with comparison is that she has suffered months of autumn and winter weather at this point as you guys hit peak summer. Then that is compounded by your winters being similar in temp. to our summer. Ho hum...she's stuck here now.

Nice.

And do I get a bonus point for spotting you drive a Vauxhall (or Holden in Oz) ;)

We were at a place in Australia called Cessnock for skydiving. In the morning, we went out to collect the airstrip lights that were out overnight for the flying doctor.

It was roasting at 9AM and I put a T-shirt and plenty of block on, as I tan like a vampire. Were out for 20 mins and got back, could feel my torso burning. Took the T off, and it had burned me through the T. The rest of me was fine - it was like inverse sunburn!

That was about 45, and for a pale Northerner that's the kind of temperature that induces nausea or fainting in me unless I am in front of a fan with a cold bottle of water. I always try and keep my Gulf War US-Issue floppy hat with me. I look like a tw@ I'm sure, but passing out with heat exhaustion is no joke.

Back