Any boiler experts about?!

Drapoon

Kona Fan
Save me from the clutches of Npower pls chaps. Got an engineer coming round to look at my boiler today & don’t want my pants pulling down! ;-)
Basically we have been in this house since September. Boiler is a Worcestor combi Boiler.
Central heating has always worked A1
Hot water was fine in the beginning but since early December we have had problems…
The shower (non- electric) started to be very sporadic, hot water would go cold then hot & so forth.
The problem then escalated to 1st 30 seconds pumping out boiling water followed by Baltic water – if you leave the shower running for 5 mins then turn it off for 20 mins & come back to it, hot water is available ( but again sporadic). The same issues can be said for the bathroom sink hot tap.
Now the hot tap in the kitchen is doing the same .
I’ve noticed that there is no “clunk” of valves diverting(?) coming from the boiler anymore when you switch the hot taps on
As you can imaging planning your life around the shower working is getting a pain – the only benefits being a nice wake up stone cold shower to get you in the mood to go to work!
Shifting mud from a winter ride is also difficult when using cold water - lol
I praying it’s a cheap fix – our 1st house & we bought at one of the worst times!
Any ideas?

Martin

that sounds a similar issue to one I had on mine a few weeks back. Hot water would pulse on and off essentially about 30 seconds of each, eventually it stopped altogether. Has the boiler got a display on it to get some error codes? If so, try googling them or looking at the manuals.
The problem with mine was the hot water heat exhanger being blocked, so the main heater bit would overheat and switch off as there was no flow (or limited flow until it blocked completely). It was caused by crap coming from the central heating system blocking up the heat exchanger. I read quite a few moans online about this every issue and how people have been through 3 or 4 heat exchangers, but my boiler chap just spent some time cleaning out the exhanger and its all ok now.

cheers fella ;-)

Had engineer out - it is the diverter valve as I feared but somehow I'm covered under my npower account. I got a free years insurance!

He's fitting the part 2mrw - here's hoping for no more cold showers!

Back