EBAY - keep you mouth shut

greenZ

Dirt Disciple
Just my opinion:

I think there should be a retroBIKE credo in the eBay and Marketplace Watch Section. If you are NOT SELLING anything in an auction, then KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT :evil: Why announce random miscellaneous items and RUIN chances of great deals for fellow retroBIKE members?

I understand the act of kindness (of announcing/posting), but the purpose of an auction is to ALSO get a great deal, not go into a BIDDING WAR between fellow retroBIKE members.

I know I said I don't like eBay (I still don't), but sometimes a low price/great deal (very tempting) can be had, if NOBODY knows about it. Members helping out other members by letting them know ahead of time, also SPOIL THE AUCTION. Thanks to you, now, A LOT of people know about it, and the ONLY WINNER is the mis-informed seller (<--probably a NON-retroBIKe member).

-----
Now, if you are a seller on eBay (retroBIKE member), then go ahead, announce/post your items.

cchris2lou":3pp4414p said:
ebay links pay for this site ;)

which means it is nearly ad free .

Yes, ebay links, mainly through auction watch do pay for the hosting and maintanence of the site.

'Outing' of auctions/clasified listings has been discussed many times. Truth is that every well desribed item is usually on way more peoples radar than you realise and even those that you think are hidden treasure usually aren't ;)

:roll:

Maybe the guy that pays the most wants it more than the rest.

Welcome to the free market, hope you enjoy your stay.

It pays for the electricity.
Do you really think your hot deals are only known to you? :LOL:

If you dont like it spend your life on "VRC. :idea:
Who the hell do you think you are ? The concept of "netiquette" and manners passed you by?

Just my opinion
:evil:

Got to agree with the OP. If I'm watching a potential bargain on the bay the last thing I want is somebody broadcasting it to a wide audience of likeminded people.

Russell":1soq8c73 said:

Yes, but there's no need to be an idiot and ridiculously overpaid for it.

Can someone enlighten me on how "eBay pays for hosting and maintainance of this site" works? So eBay automatically post items on this site for all to see? I'm confused. :?:

greenZ":1rne8x06 said:
Russell":1rne8x06 said:

Yes, but there's no need to be an idiot and ridiculously overpaid for it.

Can someone enlighten me on how "eBay pays for hosting and maintainance of this site" works? So eBay automatically post items on this site for all to see? I'm confused. :?:

see the little ebay ads at the bottom of your screen? Everytime you click, a little bit of money goes towards this site.

Market forces means that there are many idiots who pay high prices for desireable items - if you personally cant afford it, its tough titty

Could not disagree more. The ebay and marketplace watch thread has often opened my eyes up to parts and bikes i'd not previously seen or heard of and also alerted me to parts and bikes that I was looking for. If it wasn't for a keen retrobiker giving up his time to alert me to my last project (Adrian Timmis's Raleigh), I can honestly say I would'nt of found it and despite it being flagged up to the world and having 2 pages of comment about it, I still got it for a bargain.

The ones who force the price up are generally those on the continent and those across the pond, who generally take these parts far more seriously than we do, especially if they are rare or NOS.

The real deals are often to be found on the wanted thread. If your that desperate for the part/bike advertise on there, we retrobikers try and look after each other.

Back