Anyone an expert on E30 BMW's?

BarneyRubble

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hello Chaps,

As you guys seem to be able to answer most questions, I thought I'd pose this one:

I have a 1990 (E30) BMW 325i Touring. It is a great runner and mechanically very good. The one thing that worries me, is that when cold, or unused for a while, it is nearly impossible to get the car into 1st or reverse gear. If I put the car in 3rd, prior to trying 1st, or reverse, it solves the problem and once the engine is warm, both gears can be selected easily.

So...Is the gearbox on it's way out, or as a friend suggested, is it a common trait with old BMW gear boxes and nothing to worry about?

Any thoughts? :)

PS I do about 2k miles per year and it only cost me £700 2 years ago, so a new gearbox would not be economically viable. :)

Sounds like a syncro mesh problem. I had a similar issue on my old M3. I worked with cars for 10 years and work on my own so have a fair bit of experience so like to think i know what i am talking about.

Its a fairly common problem with those older models and one that will progressively get worse in time so i would get it sorted sooner rather than later.

Could be worth dropping the oil and trying a lighter viscosity. Thick oil at cold temps makes it harder for the synchros to spin up to speed and engage easily, as oil warms up, oils thins and problem lessens.

ozpete":33wm3pqz said:
Could be worth dropping the oil and trying a lighter viscosity. Thick oil at cold temps makes it harder for the synchros to spin up to speed and engage easily, as oil warms up, oils thins and problem lessens.

Bang on the money there!
Its wear in the syncro cones, gets to them all eventually. My old M5 was the same and my Alfa needs a warm box before it shifts smoothly.
Try regular engine oil n the gearbox. The UK is so cold in winter and our journeys tend to be short, that thick viscous oil just doesn't get thin enough. If using engine oil, use a good quality synthetic and change every 6000 miles.

Si

Thanks chaps, I will try some thinner oil first and if that doesn't work I'll have to look at the more expensive option!

Cheers Barney :)

Im no expert but I am part of a consortium of friends about to buy one for racing :)

Back