New road bike..

Russell

Old School Grand Master
Not really sure where to post this.

I've decided rather than fix my old road bike, to look at buying a new one. I don't do alot of road riding and I've owned my current bike since about 1992 which was really the last time I took any interest in what was going on in the roadie world.

I don't want to spend a huge amount of money as its not justified, so I've set a budget of about £500. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent bike for the money?

Bike will be used to do a few sportives, couple of charity rides and an occasional training blast when I can't be arsed to clean an MTB so I need a bike thats a comfortable mile muncher rather than a hard racer.

Help!

Raleighs, Claud Butlers and Treks are 'good value' off the peg stuff, or, you could build a blinder from stuff for sale on this forum.

See if Ribble or the Wiggle Focus bikes are on offer. Ebay is an obvious place to look. Ribble often have some good winter deals on.

I've had a Trek roadbike of about that value for about three years now - in fact it got me into cycling reasonably seriously!

It's climbed mountains in the Pryrennes, time trialled and took me on my first sportive last year. Since then I've got a posher roadbike, a couple of retro mountain bikes and even a custom frame to build but I'd have another Trek for a work horse, if that's any recommendation.

Cheers guys... lots to look at there.

Now that I've started looking at it I've been rather taken by the finance deals that some places are offering so my budget might increase a little :)

KHS getting retired?

Take a look in the back of cycling weekly. A lot of the big bike shops do own brand bikes at what seems like good prices. As mentioned Wiggle, Ribble etc. You might even take a look in Halfords - some of the boardman stuff is quite good value.

Otherwise you'll not go wrong with any of the big brands, eg trek, specialized, giant etc..

Oh dear - fatal - the finance deal ups the stakes! By the way do you work somewhere that does a bike to work scheme. I got my TCR that way and saved a lot!

Back