MADCHESTER- 20 years on

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
'ON THE SEVENTH DAY GOD CREATED MADCHESTER'

Crikey O Riley
Its 2009 already. Can it really be 20 years since Madchester?

As many of you are in your mid 30's on here I guess your mis spent youth was spent pedling round on your Saracens, Ridgebacks and Raleigh Mustangs, whilst the joyous sound of Manchester's finest filled the radio airwaves. 2009 marks the 20th anniversary of some of the best music since punk 20 years before. Who can forget The Stone Roses at Spike Island, Happy Mondays causing a near riot in the Hacienda, The Charlatans weaving pure pop bliss whilst staring through mop top hair at their shoes for an entire Gig, The Inspiral carpets with a 100 strong troupe of majorettes (such a Northern thing!) at the Apollo.

Who were your favourites, who did you see and which were your top 5 favourite baggy anthems? Heady days indeed- such memories.

Si

Go on make me feel old :roll: :LOL:

I was at University in Lancaster and so we were at the periphery of this - trips were organised to the Hacienda, though I personally never ended up going for some reason. Heady days indeed. Charlatans "Then" one of my personal favourites.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=2evjp9qOzYQ

Just had a listen to this for the first time in years - gave me goose bumps :shock:

I had friends at De Montfort at the time and remember mashing out to the Charlatans at a gig there in 89- small world :LOL:

I dug out a few of my old compilation tapes last night, some great tunes- supprising how well they have stood the test of time.

I lived in Didsbury, south Manchester at the time and was right in the thick of it. Fridays and Saturdays were spent in the second hand record shops on Oldham Street looking for demo's and bootlegs. Night times were spend trudging through the rain looking for some disused wharehouse where the Mondays were supposed to be playing a secret gig that night- they rarely were :roll: Oh well, the drugs were good even if the band didn't show :LOL:
It seemed that there was a band on every estate being formed and touted as the next big thing. I remember going to see a band from Burnage called The Rain with a right gobby little shit as a singer- They later became Oasis, when the gobby Shits older brother packed in as guitar tech for the Inspirals and started songwriting.

my faves were
Inspiral carpets- Skidoo
Charlatans- Then
Stone Roses- Going down, Shoot you Down
Ride- Twisterella

A few years later Tim Burgess from the charlatans bought the house opposite me, his garden backed onto ours and we became quite friendly. I ended up looking after a few of their motors and got to know some of the Madchester guys, Mani from the Stone Roses used to be a regular in The Metropolitan just up the road. Another generation of Mancunian musos used to frequent The Woodstock on Sunday afternoon- Damien Gough (Badly Drawn Boy- who still owes me £70 for getting his car through an MOT), Doves, Audioweb, Dave and Hooky from Monaco would always be in all afternoon. Stone Roses' John Squire used to pedal past the house on his Yeti FRO occasionally too!
It was like living on Stella Street. It was also the same street that was used for filming Cold Feet in the 90's. I remember watching James Nesbitt stood in the street stark bollock naked being filmed one sunday night. Happy days indeed, I loved Didsbury and its time I went back for a visit I think.

Si

stella1.jpg

Dr. S yesterday.......... :p

er... sorry, didnt do the 'indy' thing down here in the East Angular

A bit of the Roses and Happy Mondays, but I was mostly off my head in flouro face paint, Global Hypercolour jumpers, Nike Airmax and more recreational pharmacuticals than you shake a glow-stick at.

Wasnt actually listening to music, just wandering around tesco.

Charlatans & New Order are two of my all time fave bands.

I was an indiekid from about 87 when I started listening to James, The Smiths, The Cure...

Got quite a collection of old & new indie tunes, but still need more!

Anyone got Teenage Fanclub's Bandwagonesque?

i was just a tad too young to have been part of it all sadly but some of the more commercial music passed on to me from my sister (mondays, inspiral carpets, james etc)

absolutely love the charlatans.

there was a documentary on the box about a year ago about the rise and fall of madchester and it was spine tingling. it would havebeen great to have been part of that ( apart from all the drugs)

i suppose we have manchester to thank for driving british music forward for the likes of pulp oasis idlewild blur in the 90's and more recently bands like the automatic, the view, twisted wheel etc

there was a documentary on the box about a year ago about the rise and fall of madchester and it was spine tingling. it would havebeen great to have been part of that ( apart from all the drugs)

I was on that! :cool: :cool:
Its about 3/4 way through, Inspiral Carpets, Clint Boon is handing over a autographed copy of Find Out Why EP on which he has just drawn the cow logo- well the hand that takes it is mine! Still have the record, still unplayed with its original Moos Letter #1 inside :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Will dig it out and take a pic tonight.

Si

Back