New Disc brake advise - What should I buy ? ? ?

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
Sorry to post a modern question but I need to buy a new set of Disc brakes for one of my rides. Can anyone advise ones to get or steer clear of and more importantly any deals you may have stumbled accross.

I currently have Magura louise 2006's but the front is fubar, cant get a front anywhere, I did buy the last one from wiggle in the week but they have let me down saying its not available now :cry:

Cheers

Hayes are actually fantastic once there set up nice. Have a front hayes on my SS and been using it for years on another bike. Still works great.

The new Shimano xtr are really good and easy to set up, though using them with Saint levers as I like them better.

Paul, you are naughty!

Don't believe him! Hayes are rubbish. Infact I would rather have Melvyn Hayes bolted to my bike than Hayes brakes.

Al, :D

Formula K18/K24 are supposed to be very good or so the owners I know keep telling me! (great power & very good lever feel)

I have used Hayes Nines (braided hoses, powerful, but wooden in feel)

'04 Hope Mono Mini's (regular hoses, less power but better feel than Hayes)

'07 Hope Mono mini's (braided hoses, as powerful as the Hayes, with the feel of the '04 Hope's)

I've got a set of the new Hope Techs and they are amazing. If you love retro then you'll love these! They are all CNCed and shiny rather than that aweful forged stuff that everyone is pumping out now, but teh most retro bit of all is that the adjustable lever reach and bite point makes them feel exactly like the old XTII 2 finger brake levers - classic!

I'm using a Tech m4 on the front and a standard tech mini on the back and they are amazing.

I have been using XTR's for years and they work great and are easy to service- I recently upgraded to a 180mm front rotor and that made them even better! The only downside is price

Back