Merlin and Shimano Xtr chainline query.

doogie

Retro Guru
Hello folks,
I have just built up a Merlin frame and wanted a modern build so opted for the latest XTR kit.
When I came to fit the cranks, there are some spacers that go between the bottom bracket and the crank cups. As the bb was 68mm I fitted the appropriate spacers as shown in the instructions.
The position of the inner chainring seems to be quite far away from the frame itself and in my opinion this is throwing out the chainline.
I always thought it was best to get the chainrings as close to the frame as possible to make sure you were getting the middle chainring position in line with the centre of the rear cassette. :?

Obviously with this Xtr setup the position cannot be altered. :?

Any ideas?

one spacer on the left, two on the right, works for me. shimano are a big old company and seem to know what they are doing, the chainline should be spot on? how far away from the middle chainring is the seattube, and whats the seatube diameter?

My Merlin has a M960 XTR Crankset and BB, installed as per the instructions for a 68mm BB and alls fine.

Could do you a pic to compare if it would help

Yes please mate that would help me out a lot. I could do with knowing a measurement from the frame or bb to the centre of lets say yhe inner or middle chainring centre please chap.

Many thanks in advance doogie ;)

Here yer go mate
Measured it from the edge of the bb shell to the centre of the inner ring and as far as i could tell it was approx 1cm
Hope that helps a bit

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 580
Back