trying to give up smoking, and failing! how you doing?

jimmylad

Retro Guru
how do all. as a new year resoltion (?) i'm trying to give up smoking. alas i'm failing baddly. so far i've had one cig today, three yesterday and one the day before that. i have cut down from my usual ten a day so i suppose that i'm doing better than before. but still each cigeratte looks so tasty, almost like a sweet sunday roast rolled into a lovely thin tube ready for me to suck the goodness out of it but once that slim white tube is lit, well that sweet sunday roast quickly turns into a differant meal all-togther, something along the lines of a mcdonalds would best descirbe how bad it tastes.
is anyone else having the same problems? or does anyone want to poke fun at me for smoking in the first place? either way it may help...
best of luck to anyone else try to pack it in.

safe trails

james

I gave up 6 months ago and from the day I decided to quit, I have never touched another ciggy again. I have found that this is the only way to give up, for me at least. If I had 'just the one' every now and again I'd kid myself that 'it's ok, you had one yesterday, what difference will one today make' etc.

Best of luck with it. I went from 20 a day to 0 and after the first week it got a LOT easier. infact the first 48 hours are the worst. Try and break your daily routine in some other ways too, to help disguise those common smoking times from your brain. Stick in there!

Hi jimmylad,

I smoked for over twenty years, and i can tell you that the only way you will give up is if your doing it for yourself!
Your head space is the killer! My only advice is that when the craving comes remember it will pass really quick.The only problem is you will get about fifty episodes of the pangs a day.
Tomorrow morning when you wake look in the mirror and tell yourself you are not going to have a fag today!
Take each day as the day you give up.Don't imagine a fag free life. That will come when all those single days come together.

Very good luck.

Cheer's al. :D

ps by the way do you know my mate Tonylad from Timperley?

pps yes you do stink,Stinky. ;)

pps I just dont have time for punctuation. :roll:

Success! Havent had one for a while now.

I never was addicted I dont think as I dont pang for them.

I found having beers in town was the worst part of it. Used to go through 20 in a session easily enough

I gave up last Feb from 20+ a day.

I found the biggest problem was routines ... Go out to the garage have a fag, have a drink ..have a fag ... driving to work etc etc .

Did go on patches for about a week that seem to work

Biggest help I found but sounds weird ... When I didnt have any I craved it like mad ... But I wouldnt torment myself .... If I craved it that much I would have one .... Didnt last long I stopped that within a week too ? Just couldnt see the point in dribbling for one? :?

Just hang in there .... You will be amazed how much more air you can get in your lungs after a few months :D

Hi Jimmylad,

One of the hardest things i ever did was pack in, I went from 30 a day for 20 years to 0,

The way i did it was to set a date for quitting then convince myself i wanted to do it, I then spent 4 months telling myself it stinks, its expensive, its killing me, etc etc. Then 31st Jan 05 i smoked my last one on the way home from the boozer and ive never touched one since.

After the first week it got easier and easier just dont give in when the cravings come, and dont turn to food like i did. F**k me if i had shares in Mcdonalds i'd be loaded by now with the amount of burgers and fries i ate :oops: :oops: :oops:

Stick at it mate and just because you slipped once dont give in giving in :cool:

I found the more exercise you did (gym, weights etc) the less my body needed one.

You kinda convince yourself that you dont NEED them. Thats the thing that did it for me.

I treated them as luxury item anyway.

Hell, Wondered why we all spend our time 'n' money on here.

We all stopped with the tabs, and had shag all to do! :D

al.

ps I'm on here twice as long as most, cos i gave up booze as well. :D
Boring git! ;)

Back