GROOVY barstem issues....

yo-eddy

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Have found these lil' cracks in my barstem combo on the polkadot Groovy recently.... :?
Contacted Rody to ask if it was safe to keep on riding .....and he strongly disapproved that idea.
He said it's the material (not the weld) failing under the hammering of my 97Kg bodyweight and riding style....and inmediatly admitted he might have underestamated my size and weight for the barstem build.... I hear no cracking sounds and decided to peel some of the paint of and no cracks seem to appear in the steel of the bar :roll: ... this makes me think it's the paint cracking under the flex of the bar section.
But offcourse I respect Rody's knowledge and took the combo of, I will return it to Rody later this year and he might want to strip it and fully check it.
In the meantime He fixed me a brand new one with a thicker bar section painted it to match and it will be on my way soon!!
Knowing the man's workschedule and waiting list I was (again) pleasantly surprised by his quick and honoust response (even wanted to show the pics on his blog as a lesson to be learnt... but I personally think he'd better wait till he knows for sure)
Building me a brand new one without any hesitation shows that the warranty issue that many people fear on custom build stuff can sometimes be way more easy than with the big brands.
Mayor thanks to Rody for getting me on the bike again soon :!:

Attachments

• barstem issue.jpg
    barstem issue.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 789
saw the pic before reading, thought it was the frame for a mo! that would have been a shocker!

and oh bugger this thread adds to the high amount of threads about groovy!! :LOL:

oh bugger this thread adds to the high amount of threads about groovy!!

Just what I was thinking :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

still, it's very good of him to sort you a replacement before he's even had the original one back for a look.

I don't know - such cyberfellatio ! :roll:

In all seriousness, if that right-hand split was a crack in the metal, you would have know about it by now in the form of the remains of a bar/stem combo lodged in your eye socket! ;)

Come on, this really isn't on topic is it? Can we keep this forum for retro bikes and the off topic for new stuff, no matter who it's built by?

edit, forgot the :D ;) just so you know I wasn't being arsey!

Corduroyboy":1jiufy9r said:
I don't know - such cyberfellatio ! :roll:

In all seriousness, if that right-hand split was a crack in the metal, you would have know about it by now in the form of the remains of a bar/stem combo lodged in your eye socket! ;)

It's not a crack for sure (peeled the paint of) but it might be the start of stress fractures (as Rody sais) and you just don't want to gamble with a bar imho ;) .... Steel tends to bend before it breaks btw

as far as the fellatio is concerned.... you might be on the wrong site :roll:

pete_mcc":2if1gmfv said:
Come on, this really isn't on topic is it? Can we keep this forum for retro bikes and the off topic for new stuff, no matter who it's built by?

edit, forgot the :D ;) just so you know I wasn't being arsey!

Sorry for that.... up to the mods to move it now I guess :D

Tee hee, I have noticed that the number of mentions of Groovy has gone up several fold this evening on a number of forums on here...can't think why :D

pete_mcc":2b05mo6x said:
Tee hee, I have noticed that the number of mentions of Groovy has gone up several fold this evening on a number of forums on here...can't think why :D

me neither, they're rubbish and stuff breaks :LOL:

Back