Advice required (although will probably be disregarded!)

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
I'll flag at the start that this is absolutely NOT supposed to be a retro v modern thread...

...but it has been suggested, quite reasonably, that I should ride a modern bike (this reads short stem, wide probably riser bars, suspension forks, discs). I'm not totally opposed to the idea but nor am I convinced (where will my excuse go?), particularly when price is factored in.

What do you reckon? [again, absolutely NOT a retro v modern thread]

Ed - you are more than welcome to borrow any of my modern Yetis for a ride - they all have flat bars and bar ends though (hyperlites with x-lite stubbies for a retro vibe ;) )

Give it as go, are you anywhere near a trail centre? Hire one and find out.

You'll enjoy a modern bike for a few weeks or months Ed, but then it just won't flick your switch as it will be just be an old modern bike and you'll yearn again for a retro bike.

The fact is you won't go much faster if any on a modern bike and the modern bike will just lose money hand over fist as new components are released. Your retrobikes have reached bottom value and if anything will gain value in the future.

Stick with what you know and enjoy being a bit different.

oh dear, the seed has been planted. it was just an idea, not to spend lots of money on an ultra modern, uber trick, carbo-titano-scando full suss monster, but just to try something else. something that would work better in the woods you live so close to?

variety is the spice of life?

Back