Groovy

thecannibal

Retro Guru
Why is there such a disproportionately high interest in Groovy frames on this forum? The couple I've seen have been pretty spectacularly unattractive to my mind. There are a great many small custom builders who produce exceptional frames. Is the owner/builder a poster on here?

It often seems that retrobike is the tail that wags the dog - the forum creates trends based on a few prominent posters' opinions. You need only look to the new cult status of Klein for evidence of this - mass produced aluminium bikes prone to dents and cracks now achieving vast sums of money at auction for their collectable value.

Discuss!

Yes Rody (Groovy) does post here. Sure he's not the only custom builder out there, but arguably he's a good as anybody else and possibly his paint artistry better than most, so that's good enough for me ;)

I also don't think the site unfairly represents the trends BITD either, right or wrong though they may be :D

With such extreme standpoint I think you get your discussion. Congrats!

Your claim the attention is disproportional: Do we really see or read so much on Groovy on here? I don't know. Actually can't see enough. So is the attention disproportional? Sure it is. Would like to see more.

The builder, Rody, has strong ties with the vintage world indeed. He regularly does resto and is very well capable in doing FAT repaints in original paintschemes. Mostly by average painters those attempts fail. Rody also did the FAT decal supply, already way before he started Groovy. Rody also did remakes of the BOI way before Groovy.

I am one of not so many who had the oppertunity to be able to see not one, but two Groovy's live (Roy's). Design effort made on both bikes was stunning and welding quality is of highest level. A level most of us maybe not even know such exist. Paint is another speciality ...and I wouldn't call Groovy paint unimpressive generally. Not at all. The fact that Rody does it all himself makes it, the design, building, painting ...everything is a nice feature that makes it a special concept imho. How many one man builders do all in house?

sorry mate but i dont think you know what you are talking about ! ;)
there isnt a disproportionately high interest in Groovy frames on this forum.... they are nice hand built custom frames with nice paint jobs. so being a bike forum... people are bound to like them.
as for your klein comment, they dent easily if you hit them with something hard.... just like any other alloy frame. also how many manufactuers can you list with paint that matches klein quality ? how many have colour matched forks and stem/bar combos ? ....
exactly you cant name any can you ? and its not just a few promenent people buying all thosr attitudes and adroits for crazy money is it ? its hundreds of klein collectors bidding the price up because everyone wants the rare colour schemes.
remember klein collecters also like other bikes too :) :LOL:

Wow. This has touched a nerve.

This really looks a lot like a touch of obsequiousness, much like what appears with 'Brant at On One' or 'Cy at Cotic' on other forums...

thecannibal":2kmhlryz said:
Wow. This has touched a nerve.

This really looks a lot like a touch of obsequiousness, much like what appears with 'Brant at On One' or 'Cy at Cotic' on other forums...

no but seriously why do you think there is a disproportionately high interest in Groovy frames on this forum ?
i have seen a few pics on here .... but not very many at all. where have you seen all the groovys ?

I just feel that the name crops up more than one would expect from a pretty small builder (in Defiant's recent poll, for example) and wondered why. Now I know why. The bikes aren't to my taste, but I certainly meant no disrespect to anyone.

no obsequiousness, Rody's a very knowledgeable guy, very approachable, we ask questions, he answers. He's not been on here since September if you have a look.

Great. Diminishing my right to ask questions and express opinions on an internet forum because I haven't 'paid my dues'. What an unfortunately hostile attitude.

What's the point in a place like this if members can't express even slightly controversial views?

Back