Help me find a donor bike for under 1K

Surfr

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I want to buy a Cotic Soul on cyclescheme but I would not be able to build a decent one for under 1K so instead after some advice from STW I'm going to purchase a donor bike on cyclescheme for 1K and buy the Cotic frame separately, then sell the original frame on eBay.

So far I've found the Merlin Malt 2 with full XT Disc groupset, Reba Team forks, Race Face Evolve XC finishing kit and Mavic XC717 rims. This comes in at £955 quid.

Your challenge, should you chose to accept it, is to find alternative or better deals on donor bikes. If anyone has recommendations on different forks, I'm al ears. I've chosen Rebas as they seem to be popular on the Soul builds I've seen so far.

You'll struggle to get a better spec than merlin offer, if it's within your budget I'd defo recommend going for full xt, hope hubs and mono m4 brakes. I got that spec with SID race forks on an alloy lobster for just inside the 1k scheme limit.

Edit: but defo go for the reba's they're great forks for the money.

I've never tried SRAM before, so I tend towards XT instead. Best balance of weight/cost/strength IMHO.

If you add up al the components on the Merlin in the CRC catalogue they come to 1300 without the frame, so It must be hard to beat. Other than possible '07 or '08 sale deals.

If you go for an 08 or 07 frame, you'll get 08 or 07 spec parts. If you go for something from merlin it'll all be 2009. Well worth it, especially for the forks.

Back