Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:58 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:57 am 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:19 pm
Posts: 12
Location: A Yorkshireman in Sweden
nothing will bring them back to as new condition as the contaminant sits deep down in the pads and as they heat up it gets sucked up to the surface reducing the grip again and again.

when using any solvent as a cleaner it is best to use an alcohol based solvent rather than a mineral based one due to the residue that is left behind.

Meths is good. a tip is put some of the solvent on a rag and then wipe a window and look at what is left.

light contamination can at times be removed with a solvent and the brakes work as well as before BUT if the brakes have been used contaninated i would not even both trying to fix them.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:02 am 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 187
Location: UK
nicklouse wrote:
nothing will bring them back to as new condition as the contaminant sits deep down in the pads and as they heat up it gets sucked up to the surface reducing the grip again and again.

when using any solvent as a cleaner it is best to use an alcohol based solvent rather than a mineral based one due to the residue that is left behind.

Meths is good. a tip is put some of the solvent on a rag and then wipe a window and look at what is left.

light contamination can at times be removed with a solvent and the brakes work as well as before BUT if the brakes have been used contaninated i would not even both trying to fix them.


great tip,

I guess if my brakes don't get fixed, my window's will get cleaned.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

i was just wondering about the boiling in water factor!!! as I heard of it, it sounded odd... but now I see some logic behind it... ie: oil is lighter than water, so heat will get it off the pads I'm asuming... then water will bring oil to the water surface leaving disc's clear.....!!!!! 8) THEORETICALLY SPEAKING ATLEAST :lol:

but then adhesive can get affected on the process...

I am just trying to be as GREEN on the process as I can.

so don't mind spending the cost of new pads on the older one's just to help reduce my CARBON FOOTpRiNt :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:31 am 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:30 am
Posts: 1729
Location: colchester
the boiling works but make sure you remove all of the oil off the top of the water, otherwise you'll just contaminate them again.

another trick is to douse them in petrol then light them up! much harder than it sounds as petrol doesn't ignite very easily!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:47 am 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:22 pm
Posts: 2942
Location: Platsa, Messinias, Greece
hoegaardenadds1 wrote:

another trick is to douse them in petrol then light them up! much harder than it sounds as petrol doesn't ignite very easily!


It does if you do as I suggested re. the lighter fluid method and use a blowtorch 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:44 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 187
Location: UK
hoegaardenadds1 wrote:
the boiling works but make sure you remove all of the oil off the top of the water, otherwise you'll just contaminate them again.

another trick is to douse them in petrol then light them up! much harder than it sounds as petrol doesn't ignite very easily!


I would have thought petrol would just need a naked flame within close proximity to ignite!!! :roll:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:50 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 187
Location: UK
Andy R wrote:
hoegaardenadds1 wrote:

another trick is to douse them in petrol then light them up! much harder than it sounds as petrol doesn't ignite very easily!


It does if you do as I suggested re. the lighter fluid method and use a blowtorch 8)


I have NO access to a blowTorch, so would be a cooker job, if it is anygood!!! Just hold them with long plyer's or so!!!

would it be easier to just light up the fuel while they are dipped in it!!!
and let it burn away!!!!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:03 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader
User avatar

Joined: Mon May 19, 2008 10:30 am
Posts: 1729
Location: colchester
meant the unleaded variety! you can actually put a cigarette out in a bucket of unleaded :D its the vapours that'll kill ya!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:46 pm 
Old School Hero
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:44 am
Posts: 187
Location: UK
hoegaardenadds1 wrote:
meant the unleaded variety! you can actually put a cigarette out in a bucket of unleaded :D its the vapours that'll kill ya!


interesting,

i always thought it would light-up as liquid, but I never play with fire... :shock: so no experience on that department so far... LUKILY..... :lol: :lol: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 48 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group