Oil on Disc Brakes Problem

mustamusta

Retro Guru
Just wondering if there is a solution for de-contaminating Disc and pads from oil!!!

tried wiping down the disc's but they keep on getting more oil from the pads.....

and I don't want to touch the pads till I get a tested fixing method :D

Well, you could try soaking them in solvent (Ronsonol Lighter fluid is as good as anything and good for cleaning rotors too) and after soaking them , dry them off and then heat with a blowtorch to burn off any residue - don't go overboard on the heating though, just get the solvent burning off. This does work in my experience.

New pads are as cheap as chips though, so unless it is reallly difficult to find replacements you might as well just get new ones.

Andy R":3ov8a57a said:
Well, you could try soaking them in solvent (Ronsonol Lighter fluid is as good as anything and good for cleaning rotors too) and after soaking them , dry them off and then heat with a blowtorch to burn off any residue - don't go overboard on the heating though, just get the solvent burning off. This does work in my experience.

New pads are as cheap as chips though, so unless it is reallly difficult to find replacements you might as well just get new ones.

thanks for that fella,

what do you mean by lighter fluid ( RONSONOL)!!!!

Sorry, it is unfamiliar grounds for me :LOL: :LOL:

mustamusta":hnvtvodq said:

Yeah - Ronsonol lighter fluid, comes in a yellow tin - you can get it from newsagents etc.
I don't use it as lighter fluid either, but it's handy stuff to have around the house and workshop for use as a degreaser, removing the sticky residue from decals and labels, cleaning disc rotors etc etc.

Andy R":2n0d3ovh said:
mustamusta":2n0d3ovh said:

Yeah - Ronsonol lighter fluid, comes in a yellow tin - you can get it from newsagents etc.
I don't use it as lighter fluid either, but it's handy stuff to have around the house and workshop for use as a degreaser, removing the sticky residue from decals and labels, cleaning disc rotors etc etc.

Good tip that one and it has a little squirty tube on top. I always used white spirit/turps for getting sticky residue off.

car body repair shops use a special liquid to remove grease and other things from body work to make sure its clean ...not sure what its called tho... :cool:

xizang":2i175q1p said:
Good tip that one and it has a little squirty tube on top. I always used white spirit/turps for getting sticky residue off.

The good thing about the Ronsonol is that it doesn't leave any oily residue like turps does - because of this it's good for getting grease marks off fabrics too (speaking from experience here :oops: ).
I always like to have a tin handy.

Back