IT/Network Advice Needed

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi Guys,

After some IT advice RE: home networking.

I currently have an iMac that is hardwired to an ADSL modem.

Now from January I will be working from home so need to split the internet connection to two computers - I'm thinking router :?

However Mrs LMTTM has an iBook that currently dosen't get connected to the internet - but she would like it to be.

So I'm now thinking wireless router :?

But am I right in thinking I can get rid of my modem and use a wireless modem/router? :?

I would like the least hassle in setting this up as I would like my iMac and work computer (pc) to be hardwired rather than wireless and just use Mrs LMTTM iBook wirelessly ( and maybe a PDA :roll: )

I had been looking at the Apple Airport Express but I still need the modem :? :roll:

Any suggestions? Should i be looking at the "draft N" capable stuff as both the macs are "draft N" compatible and the walls in our house are dead thick :LOL:

As is the writer of this - dead thick! :LOL:

Please keep any responses in laymans terms if possible :LOL: :LOL:

Thank you ,

And Merry Christmas to all :xmas-cool: :xmas-cool: :xmas-cool:

Mark

You need a wireless modem-router, like the Netgear 834GT. It also will take ethernet cabling if you want to hard-wire the connection. Unless you live in what estate agents would term "Substantial" premises, you should be fine in terms of wireless signal.

letmetalktomark":2c63x3re said:
hardwired is network cable connection or usb? if your iMac is connected to the ADSL modem via USB you are out of luck. if its connected via a network cable a wireless router is the way to go. do you have a friend or relative who knows how to configure a wireless lan router? if yes invite him, cook him a nice meal and try to configure it together. i have ~6 years of experience in IT business and my experience is that people tend to become desperate when they try to configure routers on their own whithout the background knowledge.
good luck!

Actually it's a Wi-Fi/Switch Router you need, but people tend to leave the Switch part of as most (not all) come with the Wired Switch as well.
Linksys WRT-310 WRT-160 or other similar looking Linksys will see the job done. These consistently come out top in the reviews I have read.

Inigo Montoya":2a3imowu said:
letmetalktomark":2a3imowu said:
if your iMac is connected to the ADSL modem via USB you are out of luck....

?

You just buy a Wi-Fi Router with built in DSL modem

Saying as you say it's Ethernet and not many use Ethernet to connect ADSL, who is your provider ?

Talk Talk is my provider - may have my terminology wrong :roll: :LOL:

I'll have a look at the Linksys WRT-310/ WRT-160

Thank you.

Confused Mark

Talk Talk are ADSL and no idea what they use now (though I think normally it was USB by them)

USB is well USB ;-) Ethernet is like your phone jack (in the phone end, clear small square bit) bit a bit bigger, lol, called 8P8C or RJ45 and looks like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ether ... 160054.jpg

If it is Ethernet and your network then either a Cable or ADSL router should be fine. If a Cable one you just connect to the Modem, if DSL it will replace the modem as well.

Talk Talk offer a free wireless router with their service. If you are an old customer then you are prob out of the existing 18 month contract so you could ring them up and try to haggle a free wireless router off them, if they say no then ask to be transferred to someone who can give you the MAC code and they you will be moving providers. They will prob buckle and give you the new router.

or for £30 this would be perfect.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/118662/sh ... e=extended

If you are with Talk Talk they will sell you a wireless router upgrade for £30.
I have installed one of these recently all you need to do is load in the CD and it virtually does everything for you, you can be up and running in less than 1 hour!
All this was done on a PC and unfortunately cannot comment on how it would be to install on a MAC.

Cheers,

Roger

Latest posts

Back