Help with modern stuff(Forks)

kaiser

Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
MacRetro Rider
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I'll be building up a new bike over the next few months and rather than multiple PITA posts though I would keep them all together. So please pop in if you can add anything :D

First off I need to find some suitable forks as these will probably be the biggest outlay, looking for recommendations for a 80mm fork or a shorter than normal A2C. Was thinking the new SID's in 80mm guise or believe(?) reba's with U turn(?) can be dialed down.

Anything else to keep an eye out for?

U turn?

cheers :D

SID are good , but you need to be a light weight .

I am a fatty and mine flex a bit . :LOL: they are a 2001 model but I heard new ones are the same .

If had to buy new , I ll choose some Maguras .

My mate works for Tim Flooks and says that the current gen Rock Shox are very good quality and better value that Fox. My brother has a pair of Reba's and loves them, but I have also heard the SID's are flexi. :)

Good stuff guys :D

I had discounted the older SID's but the newer ones seem a bit better in the flex stakes

Reba's are looking stronger, TP this is the frame I've bought.

salsa-a-la-carte-07.jpg

and wiggles blurb here

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/Cycle/7/-_-/5360019544/

Lush :cool:

My LBS has a 17.5" 853 Ala Carte on the wall in Chili Red, it's been reduced loads and is one of the only things that's ever made me wish I wasn't tall :)

I reckon you'd be OK with a 100mm fork on that frame. I'd buy something nicer than a U-Turn too.

Tallpaul":8hoc9z57 said:
Lush :cool:

My LBS has a 17.5" 853 Ala Carte on the wall in Chili Red, it's been reduced loads and is one of the only things that's ever made me wish I wasn't tall :)

I reckon you'd be OK with a 100mm fork on that frame. I'd buy something nicer than a U-Turn too.

heers, it arrived today and it is lush :cool: I had posted on MTBR salsa thread, but its always good to get the opinion of guys you know. Anyway a few also reckoned 100mm wouldn't really bother it too much. Do you know if the travel in the 08 reba's is adjustable though? And how does the poploc work?

I think the travel is fixed, it is in my '09's.

They're about 460mm A2C so with 15% sag would sit around the 445 mark, no idea on the rake though. Maybe ping an email off to Salsa and ask them what they think?

Poploc is just a remote lockout. It's just a length of cable from the fork to the handlebar where you have a shifter that lets you turn the lockout. I don't bother with it. If i'm riding a long enough section where i really want to limit the travel it's no biggie to reach down and turn it by hand.

I s'pose if you're really honking a flat section the bobbing might bother you? :?

Salsa is giving an A2C of 446mm so pretty darn spot on. :D The reba's seem to get good press everywhere too.

The new SIDs should not be confused with any previous versions,they are basically the same as REBAs now with 32mm stantions and power bulges etc and also about half a pound heavier than old SID.Would have bought some myself but got a deal on some Fox F100's,looking back I think I may have made the wrong choice!

Back