Tyre pressures??

daj

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
I have had a scoot through the search funtion but couldnt find anything?

So Tyre pressures ??

What is the general rule of thumb please? Right across the board please?

General riding, bit of road, trails , bridals etc also in the forests.

Sizes I dont use anything normally under 1.95 upto 2.3 . Riding rigid too now?

Shock horror would also be intested in what you think for 2.3 on modern susser?

Thanks

daj":3pyrjphb said:
So Tyre pressures ??

What is the general rule of thumb please? Right across the board please?

Shock horror would also be intested in what you think for 2.3 on modern susser?

I usually run 40psi for general use, if I pop the slick road tyres on it'll go to 55psi.

2.3's, use them. You'll have to watch which you use though as my 2.3 continental verticals are more like 2.1/2.2 whereas the Schwalbe Space 2.3's I have on my susser are huge.

Have always used 45psi off road with every tyre I've had - Ritchey Quad, Panaracer Smoke / Dart, Michelin Death Trap (that wasn't its name but it should have been). Most riding is / has been on harder ground with a limited amount of thick mud.

For the road, I use 55 in my semi slicks.

hmmmm I have always used 40psi pretty much so not much different then, Reason I was asking as browsing the internet there is lots of talk of around 28-30psi for 2.3 tyres ? And was wondering if should lower the psi for the rigid bike?

25-27 psi for 2.4s
28-31 psi for 2.25s

And I'm a bit of a clydesdale, XC whippets can go lower. Defo lower the pressures for off-road riding. I'd recommend everyone to experiment on a loop you know really well, and not just 100m but a whole loop and see how you get on. I too used to ride 45-60 Psi in 1.95 Mythos tires BITD. But after going wider and experimenting with lower psi there is no way back for me. More grip, more comfort, lower rolling resistance.

If your area is very rocky for example there could be a tradeoff with security of flatting, which in Holland is not an issue. And if you have taller aggressive knobbies running low pressures on tarmac could feel unstable. But to me the ride is not about the tarmac bits ....

Enjoy!!

I have pretty much settled into 45psi for the rear tire, and 35psi for the front tire. I don't jump and rarely pinch flat, so 10psi less in the front is perfect.

Back