Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:46 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Until you have a 'jewels' moment,then you tighten it properly :lol: If you're so obsessed about running with no tensioner get yer hand in yer pocket and get a ss frame :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:17 pm 
Devout Dirtbag

Andy R wrote:
A half link chain (or a half link) will only compensate for +/- 1/4" of chainstay length, so is no guarantee of being able to run without a tensioner, plus as the chain wears from new you will have no way of taking up the slack. You might get lucky, the only real way is to try it....

What a half link will do is get you close enough to use a tensioner (in push up mode) when otherwise you would be a little short or have too much slack. Don't bother with a half link chain either, just use a normal 3/32" SS chain (KMC Z-610HX is a good choice) and add a half link ( from Charlie the Bikemonger) if you find that you need one. As the sideplates of a half link chain have to be "joggled" they will stretch far more noticably than a conventional chain would and tend to be heavier too.

You might want to keep an eye on this too -

http://www.forwardcomponents.blogspot.com/

Does the same job as the Trickstuff Exzentriker (which I use) but is rumoured to be cheaper when it becomes available.

Wouldn't I be able to take out as many links as I need to get the length of the chain just so? and by having Half Link chain, I can do this 1/4" at a time?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:53 pm 
Retro Guru

No cos you take 2 half links out and its the same as taking one full link out.HALF LINK,geddit :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 pm 
Old School Grand Master
Old School Grand Master

MJN wrote:
Until you have a 'jewels' moment,then you tighten it properly :lol: If you're so obsessed about running with no tensioner get yer hand in yer pocket and get a ss frame :D

Or an Eno Eccentic hub 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:10 pm 
Retro Guru

Yeah ENO hubs are quality :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:12 pm 
Retro Guru

richi78 wrote:

Wouldn't I be able to take out as many links as I need to get the length of the chain just so? and by having Half Link chain, I can do this 1/4" at a time?

A 1/2" increment (which is the smallest adjustment you can make to total chain length) makes a huge difference to chain slack. Too much to be useful without some other means of tensioning, unless you are very lucky.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:17 pm 
West Midlands AEC
West Midlands AEC

I have to admit :oops: I just took a random length out of the chain until it seemed right??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:50 am 
Retro Guru

daj wrote:
I have to admit :oops: I just took a random length out of the chain until it seemed right??

Well, that's all you can do, but even if you use a half link the smallest adjustment you can make will be 1/2" in chain length.
I didn't put this very clearly before, I know, but this 1/2" in chain length has the same effect as moving the wheel forwards or backwards 1/4" (approximately). Now, as with a typical chainstay length/ring size combination something like 1/8th inch of wheel fore and aft adjustment alters vertical chain slack by nearly 3 inches, you can see that a half link will only get you "in the ball park" but not guarantee a perfectly adjusted chain.

With respect to anyone who runs lots of chain slack (and gets away with it ! :roll: ) I absolutely would not do this or recommend it either. With your bike on a work stand I'm sure that you could run it like this for ever, but in the real world where a slack chain is going to be slopping about sideways as well as vertically it's a risk not worth taking, for the sake of your testicals, your face, whatever..... :cry:

Sod the aesthetics (a slack chain isn't aesthetically pleasing either, mind you) and run a decent push up tensioner or use an Eno rear hub or an eccentric BB adaptor. You only need to buy them once and it would be money well spent for the extra peace of mind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:09 pm 
Old School Grand Master

A broken face is probably aesthetically worse than a tensioner....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:30 pm 
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider
Gold Trader / PoTM Winner / RB Rider

run a Surly top push and you hardly see it .

I would run it if using the bike off road .

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next