24 Heure du Mans 2009

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Its that time of year when ferries are booked and the lottery that is dealing with the ACO begins. Any of the RetroBike Massif going again this year?

June 13-14 looks to be the date although the ACO won't confirm for another month or so- bless them :roll:

Looks like it will be another classic race.

Si

Hmm,

this year again I said I can't afford and therefore will have a year off and again a place in a camper has appeared.

Very tempted, but last year (whilst freezing and wet one evening) paparazzi scum friend and I stood staring up at the press lounge and decided we weren't coming again without 'proper' access and a nice lounge with dinner to relax in at the end of the day.

...so maybe I'll get on the blag and you never know.

:D

I'll be there again... definitely taking a bike this year - my feet hurt just at the thought of all that walking! :LOL:

Re: .

mrkawasaki":tv7rtvis said:
Will be considering the Classic for the first time - upon acquisition of a suitable motor...

Mr K

Don't forget the Classic is only every two years and you've just missed one.

Wu, I might be able to help save you the hassle of blagging. I'll PM you on Friday after I've made a few calls to my chums with the Blue and Orange cars. ;)

Doh... probably try Goodwood next year then...

You got any interesting classic motors for sale at the mo'??

Mr K

Re: .

mrkawasaki":ox3s74qb said:
Doh... probably try Goodwood next year then...

You got any interesting classic motors for sale at the mo'??

Mr K

Not much really, trying to buy good stock isn't easy at the moment as no one is selling. I'd sell my Interceptor for the right money but loving it at the moment. Also have an ex-works Volvo Amazon that's about to be readied for sale- nice car that did both the Monte and Safari back in period.

What are you looking for and what's your budget?

Si

Amazonian

Tell me more about the Amazon (I had a SAAB 96 previously - so that's definitely in the sweet spot)....

How much does it cost to take a complete Amazon and prep it to be competitive for say Le Jog?

Mr K

Attachments

• 122TomHayes.jpg
    122TomHayes.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 1,222
  • Amazon 1.jpg
    Amazon 1.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,222
  • Volvo 3.jpg
    Volvo 3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 1,222
  • Volvo_neige-2.jpg
    Volvo_neige-2.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 1,222
How much does it cost to take a complete Amazon and prep it to be competitive for say Le Jog?

It depends how competetive you want to be really. When i build a car I go for a catch all spec- with this spec you'll be able to do stage rallies as well as things like Le Jog and the Monte.
You could buy an Amazon on eBay for a couple of grand, put £200 worth of tyres on it, some £20 spot lamps, spend another £100 on navigational aids and do the event no problems. At the other end of the scale you could have a full works replica with all the tweeks for around £30,000 on top of the car.
The car i have is a genuine ex-factory car that did Monte and the Safari in period (and looks suspiciously like the white one above) that has done 3 Monte Challenges, Trial to the Nile, 2 Winter Challenges, London to Barcalona, 3 Cassic Marathons, London to Prague as well as Le Jog and around 50 UK events. Its a little tired now and is due a freshen up over the winter ready for more action next year. Its a tricky one to put a value on having so much history.
Le Jog is a great event but its tough, you might want to start on something a little easier if you haven't tried this kind of thing. 4 days and nights of almost non stop motoring through the worst of the winter with incredibly tight schedules and taxing navigation as well as all the tricks that they throw at you is enough to make you drive of the cliff at John-o-Groats should you ever make it.

Latest posts

Back