Hard going in the gloop where you are?

stevek

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've been trying to find reasons for my lack of performance ATM as it has been less than good of late. I seem to be struggling almost everywhere! Hills that I was powering up only a month ago I'm now battling my way to the top. Take today's ride for instance, 25 miles of muddy trails and ice in the Wolds, a couple of hills I was forced to walk part the way up through loss of traction and even on the slight gradients I was spinning the back tyre up. I know it's slippery, slidey and pretty darn cold and that doesn't help, but is it me or just the conditions? I can't remember it being this hard last year...

Anyone else finding it hard going on the trails at the mo'?

Steve
:(

Yeah... it's just you Steve. Your a crap rider :LOL:

I know what you mean tho' was out on Sunday, first off road riding in months (after a summer of road riding :oops: ) & found I was really struggling in the gloop :eek: It was like my skills had gone :(

Its always harder when the going gets soft!
But just thing how fast you will be when it dries out if you keep going through the winter :D

I hear ya. Tons of thick mud on Sunday's ride, causing loss of momentum and resulting in working twice as hard. Tired legs even after 16km. Riding SS in thick mud is even harder, as you aren't in a pussy gear when you lose your flow and have to push harder to keep it going. I've missed some of my normal "piece of cake" hills too. What tyres are you using? Maxxis Medusas, though not retro, have pretty good grip and cut through the mud quite well. Also rode on Continental 2.3 Speed Kings on Sunday and they were great, even had traction on slippery roots on the hills. If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about it. As has been mentioned, when summer comes, you'll be in monster shape, so use the mud for training and technique. Works for me anyway. :D

Thanks Martin... :roll: :LOL:

Thing is, I hardly ever have a break from the bike (apart from work) so I can't use the 'not been on the bike for months' excuse. :LOL: And Because of my rota I'm out on the bike every couple of days or so. Skills? Obviously mine are supreme... :roll:

RC300, I'm hearing you buddy!! :D

MJN, I would say that you're right there.

Hi KP, how's it hanging? I'm using the ss (of course :) ) with Tioga Red Phoenix UST, trouble is they're almost semi slicks now :oops: , well, there's a bit more life in them yet! Last year the Trailrakers were great in the Winter but I haven't got around to fitting them yet. I was sorta waiting til these wore out ha.

No, it's not just the traction, or lack of it! Even the odd steep road hill is making me work harder than say, just a month ago... guess I'm just more tired getting there than I would normally be after biking through the mire?

It's funny that you should mention Medusa's Paul as I have been looking at them. Fancied the Swampthing too but they're rare in 2.1, think they might be discontinued??

Yup, more tired would make sense, so your legs just give out. Red Phoenix aren't great for mud, specially if they're worn! I've had some, and their factory xc, but don't bother with Tioga's anymore, even in summer. Not sure if the Swampthings are discontinued. I wouldn't think so, but could be. I'm pretty pleased with Medusa's so far, and they're on my SS. Tend to spin when you hit roots on climbs...or maybe I was just unlucky that day. I rode a set of Intense system 1 and 2 (front and rear) all last year no problems. They aren't mud tyres, but grip really well anyway. Maybe a good set of tyres will help get through mud and reduce fatigue so you can power up the hills again. It's worth a try.

Oh and remember cold muscles don't work as well as warm muscles. Even though you're warm from pedalling, you need more energy to keep warm. This might be a factor.

Been using Schwalbe Black shark 2.1 for a few years now and keeps the power down on all but wet roots and the fiercest of rocks :x

Back