Boiler Engineers?

Harryburgundy

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Echoing Boxxers thread...me boilers on the blink, pilot keeps going off...don't want another Christmas with no heating or hot water (happened to me a few years ago..in a diff. house :( )
Any ideas...suggestions...experiences?
Fairly aged Worcester 240 Combi
Cheers,
Warm and non-smelly for now...Carl

was just chatting to a mate (his dad's a plumber and he helps out) on skype and he said it might be either the gas pressure - try turning it up if you can. or the Thermocouple fitting which should not be more than £70 to get fixed!! Good luck

yeah sounds like the thermocouple. They burn out eventually and if the boiler isn't serviced regularly soot and scale can fall down onto the thermocouple . Basically if you look at where your pilot flame is it should play evenly over the tip of the thermocouple. Its the heat on the thermocouple sensor that keeps the gas valve open to supply gas .
You should be able to get one at Plumbase or jayhard etc.

I believe its a standard part fits most boilers

The pilot flame should be strong blue if it is yellow it could indicate a partial blockage of the gas supply to the pilot jet or the tip of the jet. You could try giving it a light brush with a small nylon bristle paint brush or tooth brush

Top replies fellas..I did a bit of a google and the thermo thing was mentioned..I might just try and clean the thingy tomorrow :?
Thanks for your responses...MOST appreciated :D
Carl

Now I probably should't be doing this , but lots of people say its very easy to change the thermocouple..but I'm nervous playing with boilers :oops:
Can't access a boiler manual...anyone done this before.
I guess to access the pilot and thermo I need to remove this
Ebaystuff344.jpg

and the thrmo thing id this copper wire
Ebaystuff346.jpg

and does the pilot look a little yellow?
Ebaystuff350.jpg

Cheers
Carl

dude unless your 90 % sure about what your doing i would not be taking it to bits
not because it might not work but you could snuff something up and have gas or carbon monoxide leaking after :shock: :shock:
not something i would want to happen chap
but if all your going to do is clean the thermo coupler than you should be ok

rob

I know what you are saying....was going to clean that and the pilot, maybe replace the thermocouple.....correct me if I am wrong but it is the thermocouple that cuts out any gas....so if I don't fit it correctly, no worries, just no hot water/heating :?

yes you remove the cover plate

yes that looks like the thermocouple copper pipe but check it terminates with a brass tube that sits in the pilot flame. The tiny brass fixing bush is fragile so don't go using big adjustable wrenches or a pair of pliers on it. Get a open ended spanner that fits properly or you'll chew it up for sure.
It loosens anti-clockwise looking at the bush from the top .

It needs very little pressure don't over tighten the new one.

When replaced put the gas back on to pilot only . Mix a small amount of washing up liquid with a cup of water and using a small soft paint brush ,brush the liquid all around the brass bush and make sure you get no bubbles indicating a gas leak. If there is just very slightly tighten the brass bush until the bubbles stop .

Because you will have lost some gas it may take a minute or two before the boiler lights initially. If it doesn't light within 1 minute something is probably wrong so come back.
Whilst you are buying a thermocouple might be an idea to buy another piezo-electric ignitor if yours isn't working

Brings back memories, that's just like the boiler in our last house

Replaced the thermocouple at least twice, definitely within the capabilities of a competent person

So annoying releasing that button and watching the pilot light go out and quite the opposite feeling once the new part had been fitted.

Good luck and sure it will sort it out, just been out to feed the birds and its -2c here, so not the time for faulty heating.

Back