Fitting a new chain - How to find out correct length req'd ?

doogie

Retro Guru
I once read that to find out the correct length of chain when fitting a new one was to feed the chain through the gears bypassing the rear mech, make sure the chain is on the outer front ring and on the biggest rear gear. Then bring both ends of the chain together untill taught - add another 2 to 3 links and then shorten the chain to that length.
Once the chain has been shortened it is then re fed through the rear mech and around front and rear gears and rejoined. Voila. :LOL:

Is this the correct way to do it ? :?

Re: Fitting a new chain - How to find out correct length req

doogie":1uthgdee said:
I once read that to find out the correct length of chain when fitting a new one was to feed the chain through the gears bypassing the rear mech, make sure the chain is on the outer front ring and on the biggest rear gear. Then bring both ends of the chain together untill taught - add another 2 to 3 links and then shorten the chain to that length.
Once the chain has been shortened it is then re fed through the rear mech and around front and rear gears and rejoined. Voila. :LOL:

Is this the correct way to do it ? :?

Thats the way I do it. There is another way where you put the chain on little and little then you tension it until both lenghts of chain are parallel.

But your way is much easier ;)

And I do it another way :D

Feed the chain through both mechs onto largest cog at the back and largest ring at the front and ensure you have enough chain that the rear mech has a bit of slack in it so it wouldn't jam if you chose that gear combination.

orange71":28py2spm said:
And I do it another way :D

Feed the chain through both mechs onto largest cog at the back and largest ring at the front and ensure you have enough chain that the rear mech has a bit of slack in it so it wouldn't jam if you chose that gear combination.

+1 :)

Bypassing rear mech, big ring/big ring +1 or +2 full links extra, depending on rear mech cage length.

Alternatively measure it against the old chain taking into account chain stretch.

Andy B":3bjvt754 said:
Bypassing rear mech, big ring/big ring +1 or +2 full links extra, depending on rear mech cage length.

Alternatively measure it against the old chain taking into account chain stretch.

Same as Andy

Pickle":1bnp99zd said:
heathy":1bnp99zd said:
Or you could do the same as me, i get my LBS to do it ;)

Ditto :LOL:

+ setting my gears up.......+ fitting cables ;)

Infact, the only things i do are , changing tyres, tubes, putting air into tyres and shocks, and thats it :roll:
Everything else is done by my LBS, of course it does help if they are also your friends ;)

Back