BBC Sport Personaility 2008

The ironic thing is that adlington swimmer is more of a favourite than any of the cyclists. Why? She won two golds which is fantastic but hoy won three golds! And as you quite rightly point out cookes achievement is historic and for me deffo best female.
Great that there are no wendyballers this time though :cool:
All a forgone conclusion though that arrogant twerp hamilton will win.

Really struggling as to who I think should get BBC WALES Sports Personality of the Year too. Nicole Cooke, Joe Calzaghie, Shane Williams, Geraint Thomos.

note that Tour de France 4 stage winner Mark Cavendish not on list - bit of cycling overload I guess....

Have you seen the nominations list from the newspapers? Complete dominance of the lists by cycling - Victoria Pendleton and Mark cavendish got quite a few nominations. Not very sporting to have 6 out of 10 from one sport though? (Unless it's football)

Only thing I would say about voting for the swimmer is she still seems to be more of an amateur than the very professional cyclist team

Not sure how much cash has been spent on both sports, but got a feeling its rather a lot more on the two wheeled people

Cavendish did good, but sadly lacks they likeability of the other olympics people.
Also pretty sure only cyclists will have heard of Cav, whereas anyone with a vague interest in sport will be aware of the BC achievements.

I think VP or CHoy should get it - the manner in which they completely dominated was awesome. They didn't just win. The opponents were mullered.

Hamilton did good too, and its taken him years of dedication to get there which is commendable. If there had been one cyclist, it may have been close, but 4 will split the vote for sure.

orange71":2wo4b2jv said:
note that Tour de France 4 stage winner Mark Cavendish not on list - bit of cycling overload I guess....

I don't think that the Tour de France has nearly as much impact on the average viewer as does the Olympics (unfortunately).

A lot of people see Mark Cavendish as "mouthy" and "petulant", and sometimes he does come across as being a bit like this. The trouble is that nowadays it's just not enough to be good at what you do best (and are paid to do), the expectation is that you present a more "groomed" media -friendly image - like Lewis Hamilton, for example.

There is an interview with Mark Cavendish (at his home in some obscure part of Britain) which is worth a read -

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2008/no ... -de-france

Anyway, for what it's worth I think that he's a pretty sound guy - his whole family are.

I give up, we have the world kitesurfing champion once again for the 5th time in the row and he never gets a mention.

Back