Frame buying/making advice.

Tranquility Base

Devout Dirtbag
I'm in a bit of a quandry but I know you lot can help.

I'm trying to source a frame that will cover the following requirements:

-29er wheels for a bit of cross/off road (not confined to skinny cross knobblys but able to take something a bit wider) but also able to swap to skinny road tyres for commuting and training.
-Strong enough to be loaded up with panniers for a round the world trip when the time comes.
-Steel ideally.

My original idea was to build one on the Dave Yates course but he says I need to arrive with some frame measurements and angles as he hasn't done anything like this. Does anyone know how a complete novice in this area can calculate this.

Many thanks in advance

Russell
That's just the ticket, thanks a lot.
If anyone else has suggestions please post as I'm really enjoying looking at all these niche frame building sites.

29er

Will receive a custom, self designed, frame next week that has been fabricated to fulfill all the needs you mentioned (except the 29 inch wheels due to expedition needs). Solitude cycles are actually built by Lee Cooper Cycles in Coventry. Lee knows his stuff but is not my preference for a builder. Dave Yates is very good as is Charlie Ralph (Alves) or for road rigs Argos Racing Cycles. Its all down to budget and knowing who is really going to build your frame, whether their design ideas meet your own and how much attention to detail they are going to put in. I also looked at Dave's course and I've also dabbled in brazing the occasional bike at home. Unfortunately time constraints did not allow me to self build on this occasion so previous experience led me back to Alves Framesets.

The bikes been designed to accommodate my less than average dimensions and will allow me to cover serious mileage as an expedition rig yet also remove the touring gear and hit the woods and single track. I used Bicycle Forests design tool to sort out the design but a little knowledge is required to get the best from the program. Important measurements to consider are seat top to BB centre and seat to bars taken from a bike you are comfortable on. Then move the figures around to suit. Go to http://www.bikeforest.com/ to down load the Java Applet.

Will post some pictures of the new retrobike on completion and hope in the near future to produce rigs similar to this in the near future with my own company. I'll hit the web master when the companies ready to roll. At the end of the day we all know what makes a reliable bike, its just modern manufacturers and the marketing men that get in the way a bit. I work to exacting standards in aviation everyday and it translates into other areas of my life. I like things to work right with no fuss and have seen the failure characteristics first hand of many modern aluminum alloys and composites. You're making the best decision to use steel stay away from 7000 series alloys on anything and carbon composites unless you're willing to pay and replace the frequently.

Back