Big Problem with Kryptonite Lock

dc2100k

Dirt Disciple
Hi All,

I am afraid I have a bit of a problem. I have a Kryptonite Series 4 evolution lock, and had locked my bike outside our local shop while I went in for a couple of minutes. On my return I find the lock will not open, it looks like the furthest in part of the barrel is at 90 degrees to the rest, and the key will not engage fully.

This is a real concern for me. I have removed the seatpost and added a bad-ass ABUS motorcycle lock from my neighbour, alongside my old Kryptonite and chain, so I am pretty confident the frame and wheels won't go anywhere - I am just worried about brakes, stem/bars etc. All the things you could remove in a minute or so with some allen keys.

I have taken some photos of it locked up, but what am I best to do now?

I will call the shop who sold me the lock in the morning (not the first problem I have had with this model of lock) and try to get them to sort something out. I'll also visit my LBS at similar time and see if they can advise. Who will most likely be able to remove it quickly, without damaging the bike? I could get an angle grinder, but the frame is a mint nickel Orange P7 and i'd rather not let an angle grinder loose anywhere near it.

I ought be at work at 9.00, but realise I will be late. Has anyone bee through this before, is there an easy solution?

Any advice gratefully received,

James.

Have you called your local police station? You won't be the first person to have this happen to them.

I'd have thought the local nick and a 24 hour locksmith will be your answer

untitled-6.jpg

I heard all you need is an old bic to open these up :LOL:

Failing that, mini angle grinder will be fine unless you are a total nutter with it.

what a swine :(

if i were you i'd have just called out a locksmith straight away. failing that, i'd strip that bike down so nothing gets pinched.

personally i think stripping it will have the opposite effect,chavs will see a bare frame and try thier level best to destroy it :( just grind the lock off or use a car scissor jack.

Biro won't work if the key doesn't work.

Doubt the bottle jack would either. They make them quite bendy, you will just make it all mis-shapen without it coming apart.

Try lube and some friendly taps on the barrel, then phone Mr Locksmith or spend hours whacking/sawing etc. only to end up calling him anyway.

What a bummer, think a grinder would be my first thaught,not always to hand when you need one ,good luck :roll:

Get your hands on a 4" cordless angle grinder with a slitting disc, put some cardboard around the frame to protect it, and go for it. The lock will be in bits in less than a minute. A 240volt will be ok if some kind person near -by will let you plug an extension in to reach the bike.
On a safety note .... put on some eye protection...

Latest posts

Back