Sliding dropouts

theboy

Senior Retro Guru
I have a project frame I would like to fit disc compatible sliding dropouts to, however I need to know A) where I can get the dropouts from, and B) how much its going to cost to get them welded on (and if I need to brace the frame - its about 1994 vintage)

I know Paragon Machine works do them, but my (albeit limited) interweb browsing hasnt yielded anything - can ye help!?

big thanks, boy (the)

dropout change £120
disc mount and strut £60

he used the paragon dropouts on one in the custom frames in the gallery so best to phone

http://www.daveyatescycles.co.uk/index.htm

2166-3.jpg

2585-2.jpg

IMG_3306.jpg

The good thing about the Paragon's is that the brake calliper moves together with the wheel. This avoids all kinda adjustment problems ;)

Attachments

• GROOVY Bigwheel - 14.jpg
    GROOVY Bigwheel - 14.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1,949
afraid not , result of a google search where a forum had a " post your singlespeed " thread and ive long since deleted the favourite link

could be mtbr forum though if you want to find other pics , there was one other where the wheel was static and i think another of the complete bike so you could see the manufacturer

I think you may find that retro-fitting the Paragon sliding dropouts to an existing frame either means specifically resetting the seatstays to suit or living with a considerable increase (30mm +) in wheelbase.

I obtained a drawing from Paragon in order to mock-up a couple of dropouts out of thin sheet just to see how the geometry would all work out. In my case (95 Explosif) it just didn't (without a lot of work to the seatstays) and I decided not to go down that route.

If you look at the Groovy pic with the Paragon sliders you'll hopefully see what I mean - if you imaging cutting off conventional dropouts and grafting on the Paragon, the axle position will either move back or the seatstays have to be set to a steeper angle to maintain the same chainstay length.

Funnily enough I've recently had a chat with Argos cycles about the same thing - I enquired about Pauls dropouts with a disc tab.

TBH by the time you factor in removing canti bosses, the attaching of cable tie points respray etc You could easily pick up an 853 On-One.

I was quoted:

£100 fitting of Argos horizontal drops
£60 disc tab and brace
£16 removal of canti bosses
£100 spray (approx)
£8 ea zip tie points
Decals??

Just a thought.

Back