Wanted - photography tips

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Right, numerous people have pointed out that I'm rubbish at photography. And they are absolutely right. There is nothing at all wrong with the camera so it is clearly the operator.

There are some great photographers on here so any tips for an incompetent would come in very handy.

ok here's what i did.... bought a second hand book, a step by step guide to photography... its old but what it does is explain the principles of photography and takes the reader step by step from how a simple pin-hole camera works, right through to really advanced stuff, composition, achieving effects and stuff. It was written before digi cameras but most (apart from the dark-room stuff) transfers to digital, especially if your camera has manual functions... i learned it all on a 35mm SLR first which i found helped me get to grips with exposure, apature controls etc

i dont profess to be a great photographer but it helped loads

Copy the pictures you like and work out what you find pleasing about them. Are you talking bikes?

Well it's mostly my photographs of bikes that people tell me are particularly poor

ameybrook":3jyk524s said:
Helpful hint: if the flash goes off, it will be bad.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: true, i have a couple of flash guns but never really used them

i really think getting a 35mm SLR and learning how to use it is the best way though, a proper manual focus one like my Minolta XG-M it really taught me how to use a camera properly and not just rely on the 'AUTO' function :D

Buy a decent digital that has a large zoom say x8 or x10 and is very programable,buy a tripod[this is most important so get a good one ]
Buy a book
Take multiple shots of the same item using different settings,then conpare

Using digital is best for instant results ,why take 3 when you can take 103
taken in varying light and flash settings,the edit on the computer-->pick the best then upload--> easy peasy

I've had a look at a few of your pics of your 'Nago (lovely bike).

First off I wouldn't lean it against a wall or anything like that it makes the background look very cluttered and distracting. Take it somewhere wide open like a field, open country or empty car park and photograph it as far away from any background as possible. That way the background goes out of focus, softens and doesn't detract from the bike.

I'd also try and photograph from a slightly lower angle. By standing upright you photograph down onto the bike which makes it look a bit squat.

Your head on pic of the 'Nago chops off the edge of the bars, try and compose it to get the whole bike in the frame.

You also seemed to use the wide angle end of your zoom, this stretches the perspective, try zooming out and standing further back. This will compress your perspective and make the bike look less distorted.

But then again, I could just be talking out of my ar*e

Back