Cloned cashpoint card

doogie

Retro Guru
I had some bad news yesterday, I found that my bank card had been cloned and that some bastard was out having a jolly spending my hard earnt cash, :evil:

Anyone else been unfortunate to have this happen to them and what was the outcome of it all ? :?

Hasn't happened to me ,is that when they attach a reader device to the outside of the cash machine?
If so i always check if the casing is solid before using.
is the loss covered by the bank ?as its their property that was tampered with and they have a duty to ensure they aren't
Before asking them for the lost funds ,hassle the sh** out of them about a bit of compensation for your inconvenience ,ask are these machines secure ?does cctv watch them? if not , why not ?etc etc
In short -BLAME THEM! accept ZERO responsibility

about a year ago i filled up with petrol, went to pay and they declined my card.

at the time, i was like WTF.

turns out nationwide had stopped my card for my own safety and some anus had spent about £1000 on laminate flooring somewhere in somerset.

I got my money back from the building society which was nice!

I still dont know how they got my details, im very careful online and only buy from legitimate sites. Im guessing someone cloned it at a cashpoint.

yep any till can be set up to do it
our local ish sainsburys did a few years back and a local petrol station (had a few africans working there at the time) had a massive scam going
every card that went in got done for about 2 weeks before they got the thieving bastards

They can clone it anywhere, all a person needs is a small swipe reader and a logger. That's it. Then if they can see you type a PIN in it is even easier, else they'll default to signing probably or use it over the phone etc..

Only way to stay safe(er) is never hand your card to anyone, they should never need to touch it now chip and PIN are in use. That is the point of chip and PIN.

You should get you money back, especially if they have noticed it...

Though ARE YOU SURE it not just you spending to much on old bike parts ;)

I had heard online shopping is the safest means now, the transactions done without anyone having to see your details.

It seems quite strange really cause the last time I used the card at a cash point was at the local Tescos near me. My account was used fraudalently since then according to my statement. So was it cloned at the Tescos cashpoint? :?
When I have spoken to a few mates it turns out that quite a few have been DONE there aswell.
I wonder if TESCOS actually know that this is happening? :shock:
It seems like I will get the money back eventually and now the fraud department is looking into it.
I would have thought that in this day and age with all the technology we have that the banks could think of something to stop this happening.

doogie":22umksdv said:
It seems quite strange really cause the last time I used the card at a cash point was at the local Tescos near me. My account was used fraudalently since then according to my statement. So was it cloned at the Tescos cashpoint? :?
When I have spoken to a few mates it turns out that quite a few have been DONE there aswell.
I wonder if TESCOS actually know that this is happening? :shock:
It seems like I will get the money back eventually and now the fraud department is looking into it.
I would have thought that in this day and age with all the technology we have that the banks could think of something to stop this happening.

We should all go back to cash in brown envelopes once a week. Sort the countries debt out too! The more technology we have the more it can be used against us, it gives a false sense of security IMO.

Back